Broken hearted Mom needs help weaning

I am trying to get pregnant, so I am starting beginning to wean my 14 month old son. He has been nursed to sleep most of his life, so this is going be be very hard for him (and me!) He does not take a paci, he will not take breast milk from anything but me and when I put him down for his nap today he cried and cried and pulled at my shirt for almost an hour. What can you suggest to help us get through this tough process?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 6:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got lucky, and exactly 2 weeks before my daughter's first birthday she lost interest in nursing, so I didn't have trouble weaning her. I think it was more difficult for me than for her. So I can't really offer you advice from experience. I can tell you though, that although my daughter gave up nursing, she still needed that closeness. My suggestion is to try to make another naptime/bedtime routine that includes lots of cuddling and reassurance. I also agree with whoever it was that said to just cut out one feeding at a time rather than going cold turkey (which would be more traumatic for your son and yourself) Whichever feeding he is most attached to, I would save for last. Good luck with weaning, and congrats for breastfeeding so long! Hope this process goes smoothly for you.
    Stacyf1979

Answer by Stacyf1979 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There's info on night weaning on kellymom.com.

But know this...it's QUITE possible for you to get pregnant without weaning. If you haven't done so already, it's because your body isn't ready for another child. Two years is optimal from delivery of the first to conception of the second. Don't worry about the kids being close. AGE doesn't help or hurt that...the PARENTING makes all the difference. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Breastfeeding will not keep you from getting pregnant..

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree that menstruation/ovulation is your bodys way of telling you when you should have another.
    I weaned my oldest on her baby sisters birthday. The process was long and slow. We discussed that she couldn't nurse for naps anymore, and because I was pregnant I just napped with her instead. She nursed at night and I would just cut her off before she fell asleep and hold her hand as she drifted off to sleep.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I know this is not hte advice you are wanting to hear ... but I don't think weaning to get pregnant is the right thing to do. Your FIRST child oviously still needs you. I have a long time night nurser too. At 18 months I tried to day wean her and she FREAKED. At 23 months i tried again and it's as if she completely forgot about nursing right away. Then, a month later we night weaned, and she went with it. She is now sleeping through the night (25 months). I NEVER thought we'd get there as soon or as easily. Both DH and I were sure we would have to force her to wean dat school age! Lol.

What I'm trying to tell you, is that 14 months is really early, and I wouldn't force your child to wean just so you can get pregnant. AND you CAN get pregnant while nursing! I did!

Have you gotten your period back at all??

THAT SAID! If you absolutely must wean, this is a wonderful method that is both gentle and kind, and effective ... cont.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• ...cont. We used this method, and only did stage 1 for a day, and by the third night she was sleeping through the night. And this is a child who, like I said, we thought would NEVER wean and NEVER sleep through the night, and here we are!

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I nursed for 18 months and weened slowly. . . cut out the feedings before naptime(s) first and replaced with rocking and a story or two. That took a couple weeks. Then cut out the morning feeding and replaced it with a sippy of milk. At that point I hid the boppy because he would refuse the sippy and run and get his boppy. that took another week. I waited a couple more weeks of only nursing at night and then started to drop that feeding. I set a time limit for nursing the first week (about 20 minutes) the next week we cut it to 15 minutes and after we sat up facing way from me and read a story and rocked. the third week we cut to 10 minutes and read 2 stories and rocked. Week four was cut to 5 minutes and 3 stories and week 5 was only stories I also hid the boppy in his bedroom at the same time. He fussed at the start of each week but by the end had adjusted. Good luck hope it helps
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i got pregnant while nursing..... i don't think that will prevent it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have no advice on how to wean. I just am wondering why people can't just answer the question. She did not ask IF she should wean, she asked how she can make the weaning process easier. I am starting to understand why people on this site hate alot of you "breastfeeding nazi's"!
    Anonymous

• Thanks so much for your answers, but I do have to agree with the anonymous response. I've already made the tough choice to wean, so the last thing I need is judgement. I've given everything to my son for over 14 months, so now is time to prepare for our future kids. I am 33 years old and want a few more children, so I don't have endless amounts of time to get pregnant.
    I am still waiting for any useful info to help me and my son through this process.

I've proudly been a breastfeeding Momma for much longer than most, so I do not feel guilty and know this is the best choice for me.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 11:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009