Sprained or broken?

I stubbed my toe really really bad on Sunday night. The one next to you pinky toe. My toe did a complete 90 degree split. Its been hurting really bad and is pretty swollen but no discoloration. This morning, I've noticed the pain radiating on the bottom/outer side of my foot, almost to my ankle. It hurts to walk on it, stand on it, not really really bad but it definitely hurts. It used to hurt really bad to bend it but now it cracks/pops when it bends... but it's not nearly as painful as earlier...

Do you think its just a sprain or could it be broken?

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Health

• if its just the toe it doesnt matter if its sprained or broken...i have broken my toe twice...the dr even told me if it happens to just tape the toe to the one next to it so it cant move, and to take ibuprofen for the swelling...the reason why he said was because the bones are so small there isnt much that can be done.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• ^^^Not true...my son's camp counselor broke his toe 2 weeks ago and has been in a full cast since...it's worth getting checked out especially since it is painful to walk on...if it doesn't heal properly you may develop problems walking later one.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 7:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• thats the big toe though...a bigger bone...she stubbed the one next to her pinky toe :))
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If it is the toe that is bothering you, it doesn't matter if it is broken or not, there isn't anything they can do for a broken toe. You can buddy tape it...tape it to the toe next to it, this will help with the pain because it keeps it from moving.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If it is bothering you so much, go to the ER and get an xray, you could have did something to your ankle or the top of your foot. If it is cracking, there could be more going on than your toe being broke or sprained.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks ladies- The doctor said its definitely fractured... she's thinking a brace- surgery might be a possibility... we took a handful of X rays today to find out what I'm going to have to do. Thanks for the advice!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Oh and it's my actual foot (the joint were my toe connects) not just the toe. I guess I really jammed it good... :(
    tbear2008