In your opinion am I being to protective???

I have a rule that when my 7 yo and 4 yo are with me at the pool they both have to be within a few feet of me mainly because neither of them are very good swimmers. I also will not let my 7 yo be in the 5 ft deep part of the pool unless there is an adult with him. I do this because there is no life guard on duty and I have seen one to many "experienced" child swimmers that have had to be fished out of the pool by their parents that are sitting on the lounge chairs sunning themselves.

I only ask this because my dh says that I am being ridiculous about my rules at the pool for our 2 youngest children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• if you are doing it on your own in the pool thats completely understandable....if you have someone to help then you will only have one kid and itll be easier to let them get farther away from you...cause then you wont have to divide your attention...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If they can't swim, then no, you are no being over protective...but I might spend less time constantly watching them and more time teaching them how to swim...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My rule with the any kind of water, swimming, is if you can't touch, you can't be there. We have never had a pool and none of my kids know how to swim very well and they are 16, 15, and 10!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Gramsmom...I have been working with both of them on swimming actually at the pool almost daily.
    Anonymous

• you are being protective but thats ok :) you know your children we don't know them.... and its very true. that even experienced kids can drown. For instance..... I was about 9 yrs old, my cousin was 7, my sister was 6 and my other cousin was maybe 5.... I may be getting ages wrong. Anyways my uncled stepped away from the pool for a second (we all knew how to swim in the deep end), and of course we thought we could do anything and at that moment we decided to do something stupid and we all ended up in the deep end almost and almost drawn (sp?) my uncle came back in time to get us all out, but it was really scary. but at the same time we all grew up swimming at the beach every summer, we would go deep in the ocean to where our feet couldn't touch and stay all day in there while our parents sat at the beach. We knew how to swim pretty well and always knew how to get out of a difficult situation.... we learned a lot ......
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• alot of experianced swimmers can drown, I am the same way. My 16 year old wanted to go the beach last week and I would not let her, 3 people, 2 teenagers and a dad drown while saving his son. I do not like water, and dont want to take the chance. Yes, I can swim very well, I was on a swim team years ago, and the kids are pretty good too.My sister wanted to take my kids to hte pool and I told her only if stepmom went to, I have a 7 and 9 year old and didnt want her to get distracted by one while the other drown. So yeah, you can call me overprotective if u want. Do what is best for you mom. Another set of eyes and hands was a good idea too.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• cont.... from our experiences and how to get out of certian situations as well. So Ithink you need to use god judgement, but allow room for them to grow as well. There are some moms who never give them enough room to learn, but at the same time you don't want to risk something horrible happening. So... keep up with the lessons, don't scare your kids into being afriad of teh water too, but also make sure that they know the dangers.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• As long as you are watching them I don't see why they can't swim in deeper water. Prior to my son learning to swim well, I had to fish him out of the pool several times when he got in over his head or too far from the side. The point is I was ALWAYS watching him so I knew immediately when he was in trouble. It only took a few seconds for me to jump in and help him to the side. He was never in danger of actually drowning.

I agree that you should continue to work with your children to improve their swimming ability, but they might actually learn quicker if you weren't so close by. In fact, there were times when my son was struggling in the water and I would talk to him calmly from the side of the pool about relaxing and using his skills to get to the side.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 7:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You can't be too cautious around water.

In my town we had a girl get her pony tail caught in the pool filter. She was a good swimmer but her hair got tangled in the filter and it pulled her under. Her father ran to her as fast as he could and he got ahold of her but he couldn't get out. She was flailing and panicking and then she stopped. He was still holding her and didn't know what to do because he couldn't free her. Finally someone got the filter turned off and they were able to free her. She had only lost consciousness for a minute or so but you can imagine how long that seemed to her father. She is okay and doing well now, but the lesson is the same:

With water - you just never know what could happen. I think you are totally right on with your strict rules.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Hell no you are not being over protective my dd is going to be 3 and all last summer she had 2 yes 2 different life jackets and arm floaties on at all times when in or around the pool. But then again my friends daughter drowned last summer and I took it pretty hard I was close to both the mom and the aunt but you are in no way over protective I would rather be safe then sorry. I even have pictures on my page you can look at to see that I'm not exaggerating

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009