grandparents watching baby

okay so my mom litterally comes to my house 2xs a day and see my new baby. Well she wants him to go spend the night tomorrow night bc she know that its my SO bday and although we truly have nothing planed she wants us to go out and have fun. is it too early for her to watch him. he is 2 weeks old. i feel kinda bad if she already starts babysitting.

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 7:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• speaking as a grandmother, take advantage of it when it's offered. It's actually easier on us when they are small like that. She would not have offered if she didn't want to and it will do you good to get out with your man. Just enjoy. If it bothers you then you can make it an early night and go get her but since they usually just eat and sleep at that age, we grandmas like that! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 7:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No!! Not at all! Let her. You guys go out have have a great night. My mom watched my son when he was three weeks old. So I could go to DH's high school reunion.
    Anonymous

• That's really your decision, personally I'm still not ready for someone (even grandparents) to watch my baby overnight and she is 4 months old.
    But if you're comfortable with it and trust your mom then I don't see why not.
    Anonymous

• If she is offering, then you have no reason to feel bad. Ultimately, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. I don't see anything wrong with it. You should also realize that when the "new" wears off, you will probably have a much harder time getting a babysitter unless you pay someone.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I know EXACTLY how you feel.. my SO's mom wanted to take my dd over night so we could go out for new years eve.. (dd was born the 22 of that month).. and I wasn't ready.. I simple told her, I'd have more fun at home with my DD, than I would going out, that I wasn't ready to go out.

in your situation, you can always tell her, it's your SO's birthday, and he'd rather celebrate it with you AND your new baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I wish I could give my daughter to my mom over night sometimes lol! And my sister did take my daughter overnight for the first time when she was 2 mon. I was nervous, but everything was fine.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• As long as you're comfortable with it, go ahead and let your mom watch him.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If you're comfortable with it, then go for it. But don't feel bad if you're not. My daughter is 13 months old and she has never been apart from me since she was born!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my dd was 6 weeks old when i let my babysitter have her for her first over nighter it was her first time ever away form me at all. it was my 21 bday and i was in a wedding that day and sitter told me to call every 1/2 hr if it made me feel better and so i did. i went out and drank a couple of beers pumped and dumped alot that night andn the next day just to be sure it was safe to nurse her. butshe 4 soon to be 5 and im still picky on who she stays. i would let ur mom take her for a couple hrs call and check up on her to make sure things r alright. u can always drive home and pick her up and tuck her in at night
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 8:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If you want to try it go ahead. I wasn't ready at 2 weeks to leave the baby with anyone. But when my son was 5 weeks old I left him and my 16mo daughter with my sil for the weekend because I needed a break. He had colic and reflux and I hadn't slept more then 4 hours a night since he had been born and could barely function any more. She watched them the whole weekend while we were in town. We still checked in on them, called, took them out to breakfast and dinner, had a family party, etc, but at night they stayed with her. It was a nice break that I didn't get again until he was like 7 months old and by then I was 3 months pregnant with our youngest and exhausted.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009