What is a good reason to give a child up for adoption?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow adoption is the hot topic today I guess!

Ummm....

one good reason is if you know you can't provide for the child
    another if you just don't want the child

there are several reasons!
    Anonymous

• when you love the child enough to know they deserve a better life than you can provide

Answer by admckenzie at 7:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Money, or lack of, actually.
    Immaturity. Age of the parents.
    Willingness to give up (or not give up) your life you had before you got pregnant.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i agree with jmpeskie
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Whatever reason that works for the person giving up that child.
    It takes a lotta love and a lotta guts to do that and everyone walks in diff. shoes so whatever works for that woman, works for me.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for any woman. That is up to the birth mother. I know that I had a very hard time with my friend. She gave her baby up for adoption because she didn't knokw who the father was and didn't want to tell either guy that she didn't know. And it happened to be one of the guys was my brother. But I stuck by her side because it was her choice.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above that it is a personal choice and each parent has a reason or many reasons for placing a child for adoption. I'm a mother through adoption and I do not know why my child's birthmother decided to place him with us. It was not my place to question why. She had family who was willing to raise the baby until she was ready to parent but still chose us. I told her that I would tell him that she did not give him up but provided the life she wanted him to have but knew that she could not offer that at the time he was born. She agreed and said yes that is what she wants him to know. I asked her only what she wanted me to tell him over the years as he asks. Her reasons are her own and one day my son will come to ask. Until then I continue to tell him what she and I talked about.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I looked at all the above replies, I disagreed with most except the ones that said ,there is no right or wrong reason ,it's a personal choice from with-in.If, you are saying a woman shouldn't have her baby because she is poor,then only the rich would have kids,if,you say teens shouldn't have kids,some teens have more maturity and love than older women. I say this because I was a teen parent, I wasn't rich,but I had enough common sense to finish my schooling,go to college,all while I was parenting not 1 but 2 babies,and a crazy husband. I do like to say thank you to frogawg for answer. By the way, my daughters turned out perfect,either were teen parents,both waiting until marriage for sex. I do regret getting married to a jerk,we were divorced after 8 yrs. of marriage.
    Anonymous

• All the answers above are good ones. Actually, I believe that if you're a mom who knows in your heart that you can't provide the best life for your child, and choose adoption instead....that makes you the bravest, most selfless person.
    So many women (myself included) would love to give a home to a baby or child who needs one. It's an act of love on both parts--the birth mom's and the adoptive mom's. There is no shame in admitting that you're unable to care for your child. As long as you know that baby/child will have a better life and will be loved.........that is what's important.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• -Can't provide for the child
    -Want to give the child a better life than you could possibly offer
    -Don't want children, but wanted to offer someone else the chance to have them
    -Too young to be a parent

Etc.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2009