shots next week

my daughter will be getting her 2 month old shots next week and i heard something about giving your baby infant tylenol after thier shots to help them relax and not be so fussy..is this true? have you tried it personally? id like to know so that way if it is a good idea i can have the tylenol ready for her.

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think the tylenol is necessary. My daughter only cried while the needles were in, then after it was done she was fine. Babies feed off of their mother's attitudes though, if you seem scared she will too. Be confident and act like everything is fine! I just smiled at my daughter after she got her shots and everything was okay. :)
    Anonymous

• Tylenol is not necessary. My son cries for 10 seconds afterward, even if he gets more than one shot. Then after that he is perfectly fine.
    Dylanmom731

Answer by Dylanmom731 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was always told to by my doctor but I never did it. It wasn't necessary they never got a fever but then again I don't let the doctor give them more than one shot at a time anyway. It is the immune system overload that makes them cranky and run a fever.

Anonymous

• You should never give Tylenol before or after a child is getting a new shot, it could mask a serious side effect. Your baby will be fine.

I never gave my eldest Tylenol and she survived. We don't vax anymore though.
    Anonymous

• Your baby's muscles will be sore, and the shots could cause a fever that is why they say to give your baby Tylenol. I always gave it to my son a 1/2 hour before his shots. Some doctors recommend, I know where I take my son they do. If something is wrong symptoms will still show!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• No, as it lowers the glutathione. Glutathione is an important detoxifier and the vaccines have adjuvants in them which tell the immune system to react to the vaccine. These adjuvants need to be escorted out of the body and glutathione is an important part of this process.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I've done it and it doesn't make a lick of difference. They still cried they still got fevers. You want to try something have food ready. Nursing was more soothing to them than tylenol. It's all up to you whatever you decide. After all you are mom.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my daughter had a fever and was screaming about 2 hours after her shots. I gave her tylenol and she was fine after a while.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would have the Tylenol already at home. Every baby is different, few will have allergic reactions and some will be fussy. My son has been a total trooper with all his shots. Depends on your baby!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was told by coworkers(pharmacists) to give my daughter tylenol before shots if I wanted to. My doc said it was up to me. I did a half an hour before she got the shots the first time. It's really just to prevent a fever which some children get after shots. The second round of shots I didn't give her anything and she was fine. After she gets the shots she cries briefly and is over it before I am. I would have a pacifer in her mouth when he/she is getting them, it seemed to help her. If you do give her tylenol please make sure to give her the correct dose. Overdosing on tylenol can have devasting effects to her/his liver. I work at a hospital pharmacy and see what can happen, especially in infants.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009