can using a different brand of diapers break your baby out in a rash?

We just bought a pack of walgreens diapers because they are right across the street and it was late (i normally use Pampers) and my daughter has a bad diaper rash on her vagina. its sad.. its red and rised up :( poor girl. im putting all natural diaper rash creme on it.

but could a new diaper brand cause this??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my daughter was in diapers i had her in nothing but huggies, well my husband picked up some luves and they broke her out. she was allergic to the dye that was in it. we put her back on huggies.
    have you tried a and d ointment that works well and if you think it is too bad her ped. can prescribe her something
    Anonymous

• yes! Some moms I know have mentioned this; my son also broke out after wearing Huggies Swimmers (when usually we use Pampers). Try some AD ointment or other paste... ask your doctor if a hydrocortizone 1% is OK if it gets really nasty.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, My son couldnt wear pampers he always broke out in a rash because of them. We used only Luvs.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my daughter dont have a problem with that..but if its really bad it may be possible she has a diaper yeast infection..just caused from being wet before you put a diaper on her and then with the diaper on the wetness just stays moist and has nowhere to go...and they are usually really red and stick out from the skin thats why i mentioned that..i would ask her ped. just to make sure..if it is a DYI ive heard that putting diaper rash cream on it can make it worse..idk personally.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• MY SON WAS ALLERGIC TO HUGGIES AND PAMPERS. HE HAD TO WEAR LUVS. WHEN I HAD MY DAUGHTER, I PUT HER IN HUGGIES AND SHE GOT A HORRIBLE RASH, SHE NOW WEARS PAMPERS...
    Anonymous

• It could be both - or it could be a yeast rash. If it's raised and bumpy, I'd assume yeast. My son got it, it's pretty common. We made a homemade mix for our wipes - 1 cup of water, six drops of grapefruit seed extract and 4 drops of lavendar oil. Pour it in a tupperware and put in some washclothes (we bought several packs from target... the little baby ones). The yeast rash cleared up in a matter of days.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 8:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yes, it can happen. My son's had sensitive skin and they could only wear certain brands.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• YES! My daughter had the same thing happen to her when she wore Luvs- I always used pampers... and then she would get rashes with certain wipes too, so I would have to just wet papertowels and that worked. She's nine months now and her skin is much more tolerable. We're experimenting with different brands of diapers. We're using Target's brand UP because they were 6 dollars cheaper and you get 30 more diapers than pampers. They're working great and no rash!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes it can. Some kids are more sensitive than others, and just changing brands of diapers can irrate them. I had to use only certain diapers with my kids, and each one was a different brand! Try to let her air out sometimes...leave her without her diaper some. Go back to the pampers if she did well with those.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009