How can I wean my 20 month old son off of my breast?!?!?! HELP!!!

My son is 20 months old and wont stop taking my breast...he wont take a soother at all and i have to put him to bed by lying down with him and have him drink from my breast until he falls asleep...I need some help with this...I dont kno what to do!

Colleen86

Asked by Colleen86 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just tell him all gone every time he requests. Put him on a sippy cup of whole milk. Prepare yourself for some tears, but don't give in. It took my daughter a couple of days to accept it. He has to stop if you stop giving in to him. no more nursing bras and express some out in the shower if you start getting too full. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Get daddy involved. Have daddy put him to bed a couple of nights, make sure you nurse him and leave him awake and let daddy rock him and pat him. This way he gets used to going to sleep without the breast, but with the comfort. Make them a little more inaccessible a little bit at a time. And work him down.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Is it a problem for you guys right now, or is it external "voices" telling you it's a problem?

It could be that your child isn't quite ready as well. I have a high needs nurser who just turned 25 months. At 18 months we tried to wean, she FREAKED. Tried again at 23 months and she day weaned with me instantly, then at 25 months we night weaned, mutually. I never thought it would work so well, but it did.

So, try this gentle yet effective link below, but remember that if your child resists completely after a day or two, it may be too soon. Give him a month or 2 and try again.

Be compassionate, you don't have to just take the boobs away and let him cry, and please don't! You've obviously worked too hard to form a healthy bond to just throw it away like that!

So, give this a try when you are BOTH ready!

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I nursed for 18 months and weened slowly. . . cut out the feedings before naptime(s) first and replaced with rocking and a story or two. That took a couple weeks. Then cut out the morning feeding and replaced it with a sippy of milk. At that point I hid the boppy because he would refuse the sippy and run and get his boppy. that took another week. I waited a couple more weeks of only nursing at night and then started to drop that feeding. I set a time limit for nursing the first week (about 20 minutes) the next week we cut it to 15 minutes and after we sat up facing way from me and read a story and rocked. the third week we cut to 10 minutes and read 2 stories and rocked. Week four was cut to 5 minutes and 3 stories and week 5 was only stories I also hid the boppy in his bedroom at the same time. He fussed at the start of each week but by the end had adjusted. Good luck hope it helps
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My dd is also 20 months and still nursing. I know she is not ready to stop nursing yet. I have started to wean her on the daytime nursing but she still nurses at night. During the day she now knows she only gets her "baboo" at nap time and bed time. I kept telling her "baboo" all gone. At first she cried. Then she started telling me "my baboo all gone?" so she knows now that she can only have it at nap and bed time and she goes around telling me she's tired all day long. It is really hard not to give in to her. But I feel like I am ready to be done nursing her. I just don't want to take it away all at once. Good luck! I need it too. LOL!
    Shellsbunch

Answer by Shellsbunch at 10:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• baboo, awwww, that is sooooo cute. Hehe. For mine they were "mee-mees".
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• How awesome that you've made it to 20 months! I am currently slowly weaning my son, so I know how heartbreaking it is when they are upset and you know that you can easily soothe them by nursing them. I wish I had some magic answer for you, but I am here to support you and would love to trade info since we are going through the same thing.
    I find that I do a lot of praying!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 8:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009