Why do kittens need to be 12 weeks of age for a collar?

Its driving me and my boyfriend crazy.... We got two kittens one so he can take home and the other stays with me. he doesnt want to take his kitten home because it has fleas. we try to use dawn and warm water. it seems to work pretty well but we are not sure if their are any fleas. they been in my room with us and if they have fleas then i have to clean my room but if the warm water did not work then cleaning my room right now would be completely pointless. these kittens are only 5 weeks. We think they were born on fathers day. Thats what my friend said when she gave them to us. help please....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pets

• For one thing, 5 weeks is too young to leave their mother. 8-12 weeks would have been much better. Have you taken them to see a vet? A vet can give you a topical flea treatment or a pill, both of which are safer than a flea collar. Also, if the kittens have/had fleas it's quite possible they have or will get worms from the fleas. Another reason you'll want to take them in to the vet.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Fleas on kittens can also cause anemia. I do the dawn baths on mine every few days because I have lost kittens that way. Vacuum vacuum vacuum...move the furniture to do it too....fleas will hide. When I notice fleas they get bathed until they are old enough to use frontline. Good luck hun and don't give up.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, vacuum. And then when you're finished vacuuming empty the canister/take out the bag and take it outside to the dumpster or your curbside trash bin. If you leave it in the vacuum cleaner, they can escape.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Clean your house REALLY Good. and it might stink for awhile. but viniger works great on fleas. just put some with water in a spray bottle and spray down everythign then vacuum everything.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2009