potty training... stand or sit?

I am starting to potty train my son he is 2.5 and I wanted to know if the best way to train him is to stand or sit.

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• standinf is more natural but can leave a mess...there are potty training things at walmart.com
    they have toddler urnials tht are like $30 and that way a mess wont occur
    Anonymous

• I trained my son, by sitting him backwards on the potty, that way he got it in the potty, and I think it was easier to interduce him to standing once he got a hold of the potty thing, sence he was use to facing the potty, good luck.
    mandyjh

Answer by mandyjh at 9:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sit all the way girly...I have a son age 2 1/2 and I started when he was to potty training and its so hard to teach him to stand when so little and short. Besides that he goes to the bathroom with me in the ladies room and sees the way I GO AND IF i started to teach him to stand he would get confused and take longer to train. Also use underwear for boys, absolutly use NO pull ups. It doesnt work and my grandma and friends to told me no mattter if its a boy or girl it confuses them. Its a bit messy but it works. Hope this helps out.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 9:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I trained all my boys sitting, after they got it down I let them decide if they wanted to stand. My grandson will be three next month, he is still sitting, and if I ask him if he wants to stand, he'll laugh and say no, like I'm silly for asking.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I trained my sons to stand, we had a stool in there and used cheerios as "targets" - they loved it!

Answer by missanc at 10:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sit until he's tall enough to stand and not miss in a regular toilet. Get his dad involved when he's ready to start learning how to pee standing up, but start of sitting for both pee and poop so he doesn't have to get confused about which position he needs to be in depending on where it's coming out! Less confusion and don't worry, he'll be standing to pee by himself before long...just make sure that when he does, he cleans up after himself!!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I've only ever used sitting because I have short children and neither of my 2 boys who are now trained were able to reach over the edge from the floor and were too high to aim well from a stool. So sitting was the easiest. Also there wasn't any problem with them getting confused about what they were pushing out or if both came at the same time. I can't say how standing would work for sure bc I've never used it, but sitting was great for both my boys.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009