Offshoot of a few P&CE things

Help me understand something. I have no problem with someone choosing to believe the whole earth is 6000 or however many years old thing. It's part of your faith, more power to ya. What I do not understand is prescribing that opinion to everyone else.

Not really sure how to phrase this so it doesn't sound snarky, because it's really not, but, if you are a biblical creationist, does it really SURPRISE you when you hear other people say the earth is 4 billion years old? I mentioned it in an answer and had someone have a minor freak out about it, then start a whole new question asking how old the earth is (I assume looking for a cascade of agreement, which she didn't get). In general, is it that much of a shock to stumble across people who have different beliefs? The way this person came across, my answer was just completely inconceivable.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually this touches on one of my concerns about the Creationist movement. If people want to believe in a young-earth they can - they don't have to understand or accept the evidence against it. But if someone insists that to believe in God one must accept the concept of a young-earth - then there are problems - it drives people away from God. The only way one can really accept YEC is to ingore all the evidence against it - change "science" into something it's not and blindly accept a religious belief. So if someone starts to actually learn science, what it really is, how the evidence for the scientific theory of evolution is accumlated and what it is - it's extremely hard to ignore it. And I've met people who have abnonded their religious beliefs because they accept that God is such a liar that he would put all this evidence and give us reason if it wasn't true.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am surprised that she acted all shocked, like she has never heard that before. Has she never gone to school? I KNOW I am in the minority when it comes to beliefs about the age of the earth. LOL. I had to sit in so many classes where the instructors were condescending my faith to the point where you feel like you are some dumb freak. I was the butt of all the jokes in my anthropology class, LOL.

Not all good scientists believe in evolution, and I tend to agree more with their worldview. There are some amazingly bright guys that can scientifically explain why evolution/big band didn't happen. But I think everyone knows that the favorable opinion today (the one that is in the textbooks) is your opinion.

You weren't being snarky either ; )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• God only knows how old the earth is.
    Anonymous

• I want to know what religion thinks the world is only 6,000 years old.. I'm curious.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Some creationists believe the world is between 6-10 thousand years old.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• This is one reason I think we need state set standards for home-schooling.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't really care how old the earth is. It really is irrelevant to the whole debate. Neither side can definitevly prove one way or the other.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Fair enough - and in the same spirit of not wanting to 'sound snarky': what would YOU say or do if ((I)) were to tell you that maybe the earth is only 1,096 years old? Would it really SURPRISE you to have the issue of the earth 'being billions of years old' called into question? MHO is that 1 day = 1,000 by God's calculations. Therefore 4 billion ACTUALLY calculates to roughly 4 hundred thousand DAYS, which when broken down into generations totals 1,096 years (21.9 generations). And since you aren't being 'snarky about anything' you'll allow this 'biblical creationist' her humble opinion according to God's calculations ... however, scientifically, earth is YOUNG by ALL SCIENTIFIC ACCOUNTS, which only adds credence to God's calculations. MPO.

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 6:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• This is one reason I think we need state set standards for home-schooling

I'm in total agreement. Teaching children to believe that a relatively young planet is billions of years old should be held up to stricter standards. Homeschooling rocks! At least home educated (notice I deliberately evaded "schooled") kids are encouraged to think for themselves and to research questionable dribble ... schooling is no more than the passing on of personal opinions of someone else. Home Educated children learn to think, question, research, and learn for themselves. They do not settle for the status quo in acceptable answers like public schooled children do.

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 6:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Asking the questions all the time about how old this world is is just a real waste of time..like asking..so where did God come from and how long ago did He live before He came to Earth as Jesus.
    Scientists base their stuff on "theory" and Creation believers base theirs on Biblical proofs.
    God was
    Jesus came
    Jesus gave of Himself and died
    Jesus rose from the dead
    Jesus went to hell and kicked satan's rear-end, stripped him of his power, and took back the keys
    Jesus rose to the Heavens
    Jesus will return for us...His bride
    Everything else is just a ....WONDER WHY...WONDER WHAT...WHO CARES?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 7:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2009