My 4 month old has to wear a helmet. :(:(

My daughter has an extremely stubborn preference for laying facing left. As a result her head is pretty misshaped and the specialist today told us she will have to wear a helmet all day long for two months. I'm not sure what to really think yet... just that I feel bad for her. Has anyone else had to do that? What's it like?

katskelington

Asked by katskelington at 9:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is also in a helmet now for about two months. He too preffered his left side. We started him in it at about 7 months and it has made a HUGE difference. I was so nervous about it at first. I even cried when we first got it. He adjusted to it so quickly. It's nice that he has it on now that is crawling , climbing and even trying to walk. We are almost down with it and I am so glad we did it. His head looks so much better.
    poshenoy

Answer by poshenoy at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Hon, she is 4 months old. Who cares what people think. She will adjust and soon your daughter will have a properly formed head. My baby brother had to wear one for over a year. He had is face pulled off his skull, his soft spot drilled into to open it up because it had never grown open to allow his head to form properly. My brother is healthy and happy and going on 29 years old.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She's going to adapt to the helmet very quickly. You will get questions, you will get stares, you will just deal with it.

In 2 months it will all be over and you'll move on. By the time she gets out of the helmet, you'll be so used to it that you won't even be noticing it....just as she won't.
    Anonymous

• It won't seem so long. Back in the day before helmets they used milk cartons!!!! Try explaining that to the child if pix are taken with a milk carton on their head!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My daughter might be getting one real soon. She gets evaluated at the doctors office next month to see if it has gotten better or if we have to go in the direction of a helmet. She had torticollis and could not move her neck and got a nice flat spot also on her left side. Its really no big deal. I see babies every now and then with one.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009