• In the Spotlight:

school supplies

what if a parent cannot afford the list of supplies for their child? are there any places to go to for help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in

• Usually the school/classroom will help
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• See if your school has a family resource center. They can help with school supplies and other things too.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Contact the school administrator

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would send them to school with what you can afford (the most important things...pencils, paper, crayons) and tell them you will get the rest when you can. Most likely they will help you out. My kids had to explain why they didn't have quite all their supplies last year. The teachers didn't really care and eventually we got the rest of them. The 1st grade teacher even sent reminders so we weren't the only family that didn't bring everything in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Just get the few pertinent things such as pencils, paper, erasers and maybe one folder. Thats only a couple of dollars, then explain to the teacher your dilemma and I am sure they will be happy to help.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• sometimes your school will help you if not you can contact your local dhs & health depts for a list of low income family resources. if your indian some tribes offer an allowance for back to school clothes & free school supplies.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had a nice person help me this year and is giving me all the supplies i need for my kids,i thought that was super nice..... i am hoping next year i will be able to help some else back .....There are churches that will help you and call the state service center and ask them if they know of a place to help... due to my husbands religion i cant ask the government for help and no churches.....I hope you have those open door for you though.
    sweetwhite30

Answer by sweetwhite30 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you explain it to the teacher she will understand. It happens all the time. No reason for you to feel bad. Get paper, pencils and whatever basics you can afford.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

Next question in
In the area

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
has anybody ever bought into direct buy?