Has anyone been approved for SSI Disability?

I am appling for SSI and SS disability I am going for a medical reason and a mental one. I am wondering how many people have been approved the first time and any advice? I have already sent in all my forms and they sent me more and I am mailing those in too. I really need this as I cant keep a job between the IBS and the mental illness. Please let me know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Health

• I am on disabillity....it seems it is easier to get approved for a mental issue than physical, not sure why. Also it seems everyone gets denied the first time than you have to appeal. If you are currently under a dr's care, it will be easier too. If you'd like to PM me I may be able to help you....maybe...at least I'll try! lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree that it's rare to be approved the first time. I'm not on SSI, but know some people who are, and it almost always involves an appeal. It makes you feel like they are trying to weed out the "Oh, well, I tried" crowd. Your dr. should be able to help. Are you in counseling? Perhaps that can help also.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I am in a Doctors care for both they diagnosed me positive for IBS last week and I have had mental issues all my life and that doctor/councilor diagnosed me with severer depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I applied for SS once before was denied in '07 and didnt appeal so now i am doing it all over again. I just went for mental last time.
    Anonymous

• My DH is on SSD for major depression. He was NOT approved for SSI, but was approved first time for SSD. However, it took almost a year to get that approval, he had to see two state-approved psychiatrists, I was interviewed at length, and there were thousands of pages of paperwork and forms to be filled in.

The best advice I can give is to be patient, be completely honest, and keep in touch with your doctors about it. For us, a lot of delays were on the part of DH's doctors not getting information sent in quickly enough, and the fact that the offices ONLY process this kind of paperwork once a month.

However, once he WAS approved, they went back and counted him disabled from the day he actually first applied, so we got a huge back-payment. A good thing, as we were massively in debt at that point and trying to just pay rent each month!
    Anonymous

• did your DH have a long history of depression?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009