Whats your opinion?

My sons great aunt passed today and we were planning on attending the funeral but wanted to know if you think that would be a good idea for a 4 month old. I know some say kids dont know and some say kids do but I want some of your opinions....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I see no harm
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• At 4 months I think he would feel the emotion around him. He might sense the unhappiness and be upset. You might not be able to stay long But I would go for the closure and the family will appreciate the fact you even tried with a 4 month old.
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 9:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't think it's a good idea b/c it's distracting to the other people. If you do take him you may be out in the hall the majority of the time. Try to find a sitter
    Anonymous

• If I didn't have a sitter I would take the child. If I did have a sitter I wouldn't take a little one for 2 reasons, 1) moms can give more attention to other family members who might need comforting and 2) if the baby cries and is affected by the stressed energy in the room it may cause more tension. It also makes for a long day for the child if you feel the need to stay and mourn with the family for as long as you need to be there.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i had to bring my first son to a funeral. but my step-sister was there and sat with him in the back and he was good (i had to sit in the front)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• well i do understand the part about the baby feeling the tension but my son is pretty much a laid back chill baby...not to brag but he only cries if hes hungry or sleepy and its usually just a whine and not so much a cry...but i do thank you all for your insight
    Anonymous

• I would not be taking my DD but that is because she is super sensitive and picks up on everyones emotions and feelings. Last week this lady touched her who has just been involved in a situation where a man collapsed, went into shock and she had to save him. Ambulance called and everything. When the lady touched her she looked at her and then started crying this awful sad cry. Then the lady tried to make her feel better by touching her again and made her cry harder. She would only stop when I held her close and we got back to the car. So, depends on the temperment of your baby
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• mummylovebaby, no offense but maybe your daughter was just a little frightened by the lady?

OP, I agree with mummylovebaby. It depends on the temperment of your son. If you think he will be able to be in the mournful environment, take him. You can always take him into the hall if he does fuss, but if he's a "laid back" baby he shouldn't make too much commotion. I'd say do what you feel would be best for your situation. I'm sorry for your loss.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well he did well at the funeral...he sat there with his toy quietly til the funeral was over...on the other hand his 11 month old cousin was screaming and yelling all over the place lol...the funeral wasnt sad and was short and sweet...thanks ladies for your advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2009