• In the Spotlight:

donated school supplies, do you give, what would you give, and do you know if the kids get them

do you donate supplies to others? i see alot of boxes around my town for supplies.I was thinking of making it a project for my kids(we homeschool so dont need that much ourselves) and have each one donate a few things. what would you donate?? and does anyone know if the kids really get the stuff?

Kiki_pie

Asked by Kiki_pie at 9:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in

• We do only to the ones that go directly to children in need, I hate the whole donate for the entire class. We actually donate in several places, and our child isnt even school aged yet. My SIL is a teacher so I always buy her craft supplies because she only gest $32 a year as an expenditure budget, and craft supplies is low on her list. Then our neighborhood HOA does a drive, I usually just through in some pencils pens and highlighters in the bin. Also, my husband and I buy all the school supplies for my 2 god-kids. They are both beyond low income living in extreme proverty. We sort both of their lists from top to bottom. Backpack, socks, underware, 1 pair of shoes you name it we buy it for them.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 10:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Since we give to people we know I never worry about if they got it or not. I've been told that the drive the neighborhood does accumulates all the items along with other subdivisions and then lets the children pick up what they need.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 10:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Our church takes donations for school supplies - but this year I'm having to help my "inherited daughter" buy for her two kids. Normally, I do donate. Everything except boxes of tissues (don't ask).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• We donate supplies through the school system

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I do not give supplies out other then buy extra for the classroom itself. In my area the donations at stores go to the neighboring town which has a high population of Hispanic kids. Yes, it's sad they can't afford things but when you have other children in areas that are supposedly "upper class" that can't afford stuff and are looked over then I don't think it's fair. I see it as either distribute the items equally to ALL schools instead of to just one school district.
    mikazuki

Answer by mikazuki at 12:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• we donated alot last year through our church so we knew it went directly to the school system. we are not donating anything this year because this system is filled with little well to do brats.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• any suggestions on where i should have my kids donate at and what items they should include?? we homeschool so basically we just use what ever is on hand.
    Kiki_pie

Answer by Kiki_pie at 8:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• we usually donate @ the school & give the supplies directly to the teacher.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have always TRIED to buy a few extra things walmart & target are great with their prices on school supplies, I try & spend about 10 to 15 bucks on 25 cent things like crayons & glue ya know we just give them to the teachers, they know who needs what.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree with the above and even backpacks would help a family out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

Next question in
school supplies

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
when should you worry about contractions?