Do you have to let CPS workers into your home, if they show up unannounced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um, yeah. I believe for the most part they usually do show up unannounced, which they should.
    Anonymous

• If you don't they could call the police. They could also get you for interfering with an investigation.
    Anonymous

• yes
    if they came announced it would give you time to put on an act and get everything clean even if it isnt usually
    the point is for them to see how things are normally
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'm sure if they furnish the proper I.D. and paperwork they can pretty much go right in. Dunno what kind of paperwork they would need...maybe a case # or something :::Shrug:::

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't know why they'd come around my house, but I'd let them in. I have nothing to hide.
    Anonymous

• I think they need a warrant. They are supposed to set up a time to meet with you, but even if they didn't I would want a warrant. Otherwise it would be an illegal search I would think.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• http://deltabravo.net/custody/cpswarrant.php

Yup, this is only one of several sites I saw. I used to homeschool so they kept us informed, they MUST have a warrant otherwise you can deny them entry until they obtain one.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes you do , don't deny them to come in, if you aren't guilty of anything they can use that against you. If you have nothing to hide let them in.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Suzy--I know when I was homeschooling we were told not to unless they had a warrant because once you allow them entry, they can use ANYTHING against you. As in, they could be there for a complaint of educational neglect and once you let them in they can say that they don't like the dishes in the sink and write you up on that. I have never been faced with it, but this is what I was told. If they are not up to anything, they should have no problem with you politely asking for a warrant.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• From my experience, no. My ex has filed with CPS twice against me - both times unfounded, but I was ticked off the first time that they were even suggesting I had done anything wrong and I did not cooperate. They were never allowed in my house, they spoke to the kids at their school and at their dad's house. Like I said, both allegations were unfounded but it's such a waste of taxpayer money and time when they let angry exes file complaints!

Answer by missanc at 10:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009