Having a hard time getting my four year old to learn his numbers and letters...any suggestions?

thekinseyfam

Asked by thekinseyfam at 9:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• make a game out of it with flash cards or somethin to keep him interested
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i tried that my problem is keeping him interested. I dont want him to feel like i am forcing him to sit and learn.
    thekinseyfam

Answer by thekinseyfam at 10:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my son likes to play letter of the day and i do or give him stuff starting with that certain letter all day. (ie. blue..... blue berry pancakes for breakfast, blue shirt, brush teeth, blow bubbles, etc. all day). it's just hard for you on letters like x lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Patience and don't force it - he's ONLY 4. Just call out letters and numbers during the regular course of the day - at the store, at the gas station, driving along the road at signs (speed limit signs are great for number recognition). Don't make it a sit-down learning - make it a regular part of life learning so that numbers and letters have context to him - it's how we understand where we're going, what we're buying, how fast we're driving...make learning relevant, not just scholastic.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my daughter is almost 4 and knows hers. We did it by watching a barney movie barney abcs and she learned by us singing along to the songs which she really enjoyes. We also got alphabet and numbers puzzles and had her find and say where each one went, I think they learn better when they actually think they are playing and are having fun. Goodluck im sure he'll get it soon!
    MommieButterfly

Answer by MommieButterfly at 11:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My 2 oldest children did not learn to recognize their letters and numbers until they went into kindergarten. I tried to teach them. They just didn't understand. They loved making the letters and numbers out of playdough. Whenever we drove anywhere, we played the ABC game. The goal is to find the letters on cars, billboards, on buildings, etc. You start out with A and work you way to Z. The hardest letters to find are J and Q. Good luck and have fun.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Realize that even normal boys are sometimes - maybe even usually - a bit slower than their female counterparts when it comes to learning "school" stuff. Back off and try again in a little while. If you push too much he may decide he doesn't want to learn. Then you'll have a real problem. Spontaneously count things, but don't say "we are going to count now". Mention "Hm. there's an M at the beginning of Mickey Mouse. M says 'mmmm" then drop it. Repeat it again in another day or so. But don't sit and focus on "teaching" a 4yo boy these things right now. It's just so unnecessary.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Find fun, hands on activities, not flash cards or sit down worksheets! He is a typical active boy. Find music and movement activities that teach these concepts, songs (Dr. Jean has many CD's of music to help teach these concepts). Find games to play that teach the concepts (Games on computer like I found on Starfall.com and literacycenter.net) Also google " appropriate learning games for preschooler's) to find a list of activities you can do.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Try getting the ABC magnets for the fridge. He can play with them and you can go over the letters with him, you can also write messages in the magnets to help him with putting letters together. Anything that is "fun" for your child makes it easier, like singing silly songs.......crayola.com has tons of printable stuff and I think I remember seeing things with letters and such that he can color, maybe that will keep his interest :) Good luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My 4 yr old got a leap frog refrigerator toy for his 2nd birthday and it came with all letters and numbers 1-10. He picked up on it so easily and he knew his numbers and letters before he was 3. It's a great toy and I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing is that it does not come with lowercase letters so we had to teach those on our own, but I think that you can buy them separately. Good luck!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009