Why do so many people place such little value on marriage anymore? What are your view on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In what sense exactly? The divorce rate? Cheating?
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• bc back in the old days u were looked down on for gettin a divorce and nowadays its so common i am not married yet but im going to this septemeber to my first love we have a 3 month old together i no one really showed me to respect my body when i was younger but i always felt that ur first time should be with ur one and only and that it should be in love only i couldnt imagine being w some one i barely knew or wasnt in love w
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Production of Greenhouse Gases has less to do with population then the number of households required to accommodate a given population. Following this premise, it becomes easier to understand that high divorce rates are certainly adding to the production of carbon dioxide. Divorce splits families and creates new households. Going by the most conservative estimates, if we assume that one in three marriages in the UK ends in a divorce, then high divorce rates certainly add nearly 33 new households per 100 existing households per annum. Creation of these households results in an increased consumption of resources like fuel, water, electricity, wood, land, etc. Thus it will be true to say that divorce is no doubt a major factor influencing Global Warming.
    This study should lower the divorce rate when the econazis see it
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Besides the divorce rate, there are so many people living together, rather than getting married. They are ok with buying a house together, having kids, etc. but refuse to get married. Why?
    Anonymous

• Marriage was once a sacred thing. In society today marriage is just a piece of paper, I have even had people tell me this. I have seen people I know get married then divorced then married then divorce again to learn nothing. I waited until I was 30 years old before I got married. I wanted to make sure that I was getting married to the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. My parents have been married 34 years and my in laws and my grandparents were married over 60 years before they died. I stood before God when I said I do, therefore, I take this oath very seriously.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't understand the whole living together, having kids together but not getting married thing either. Is it a fear of commitment - cause having kids, that should be commitment enough!

Answer by missanc at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I hate the way our society views marriage. It is a sacred bond, a union between a man and a woman. It connects you emotionally, physically and emotionally.

I believe when you say your vows, you are making a covenant between you & your husband AND the two and God. I also stood before God when we said our vows... a covenant not so easily shaken.

I also don't like the mind set that people think they need to live together before they get married. "We have to make sure we can stand each other." or some crap like that. No one ever said that marriage was supposed to be easy. You are supposed to learn and grow together.

I also hate that as soon as things get a little rough, people know they can just bail out. They go INTO their marriage knowing there is an escape route!

Now - don't get me wrong... there are circumstances that divorce is NECESSARY. Abuse - plain & simple. And I do not think that God minds either.....
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sooo....should I have kept my kids with a cocaine and alcohol addict who refused to get any help????
    Yes, I know we now have a bigger footprint.
    I value marriage very much, it is why I stayed in a terrible situation for over a decade.
    This is a very judgmental question.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i see NO point to marry.... your father "gives you away" ummm i think not!
    jlstewart922

Answer by jlstewart922 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Because we are a 'disposable' society that values very little.

We make crap, we buy crap, we eat crap, and we drive ourselves crazy keeping up with our neighbors while our marriages fall apart and our children raise themselves.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009