Why is it bad to not go over the weight limit in an infant car seat?

my son is soon to be 1 yr old on aug 15th and at his 9 month check up he only weighed about 17 lbs. I want to keep him rear facing in his infant seat as long as possible and his seat says up to 22 lbs what happens if he goes over that limit like up to 25 lbs? I get the weight limit but would it be that dangerous to go over a few pounds? I have a convertible one I bought when he gets older but I hate waking him up when he has just falling asleep in the car with the convertibles and take him out. I like the convenience of the infant ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well if you have some money to spend you could buy the graco snugride32..... it is an infant carrier that goes up to 32 lbs. that's what i just bought for my daughter on the way.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, it would be very dangerous to go over the weight limit in the seats. Yes, you should keep him rear facing as long as possible but most of the convertible ones you can face backwards, depending on the brand/model - read the instruction booklet. But the weight limit is there for a reason - the seat was not designed to keep a child heavier than that safe!

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The seats have been tested to the limits listed on the seats, by using the seat PAST the limits you are using YOUR child as a crash test dummy in a crash. YES its very easy to carry them in in the infant seats and if you absolutely want a seat that will last look at the Safety First OnBoard it goes to 35lbs, the longest lasting infant seat on the market.

Personally I think most kids outgrow the seats by height faster than weight. Make sure your childs head is not closer than 1 inch from the top of the hard shell of the seat. If its too close to the top the seat is outgrown no matter the weight...theres a weight and height limit...height limit numbers are not set in stone but the 1 inch rule IS.

If hes outgrown the infant carrier the convertible is much safer than overusing the infant seat incorrectly.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yes it would be a big deal to exceed teh weight limit. Also hot off the presses my doctor just told me that they are now recommending keeping the babies rear facing untl they are TWO! That convertible car seat will come in handy. We use a convertible seat since birth and I can relate to not waking him up but I bet you by the time your baby is 22 pounds you'll be ready to kiss that heavy carrier buh bye!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• ---original poster--

ya my son isnt even close to the weight or height. Like i said i do have the convertible one i bought that goes up to like 100 lbs It just takes up so much space, but i will have to use it once my son gets too heavy and long for the infant one. I do plan on keeping my son rear facing for as long as i can.
    Anonymous