why do kids with a tummy virus need to eat bland food?

Andy (2) has a tummy virus. :( the nurse told me today to feed him the BRAT diet and for him to eat bland food. i dont understand why he needs to eat bland food. can someone explain it to me please?

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The BRAT diet is used to calm the acid production in the stomach, as well as, allow time for the stomach and esophagus walls to heal from any eruptions that may have been caused from vomiting. On the same note, the intestines and colon also need to calm their spasms and begin to run smoothly so that more solid formations of waste will be excreted. Small amounts is the key because no matter what you eat the stomach still produces enough acid to break down the food deposited. The less you eat at a time while your insides are healing and settling down, the fewer acids that will be produced.
    Hope this helps. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• sometimes when i am sick the smell of certain things makes me puke. maybe that's why? bland food usually doesn't smell.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Would YOU want to throw up spicy food, or acidic food? Not me! If it's likely to come back up, i'd want it to be pretty bland and not burn!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sometimes I think people here are actual machines. U sound like u never in your life felt a tummy virus, hurraaaaaay 4 u.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Stomach viruses cause the acid in your stomach to double or even triple as the body tries to fight the infection by raising the PH in the stomach. Acidic or spicy foods will aggravate the acid in the stomach and cause more vomiting.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009