Whats a good first fish?

I bought a basic tank and now need some good starter fish. Any that don't require major maintenance. A want a fish that I can just drop in sink water.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 10:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Beta fish are REALLY hard to kill. I forgot i had one for like, two weeks, when i was younger and the dang thing was still thriving when i remembered it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• For sure a beta....your best bet. Longest life span.
    brandee76

Answer by brandee76 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would suggest one simple goldfish. We made the mistake of buying three guppies for my sons first fish tank and they started breeding rapidly and within a week there were already about twenty in the tank. I guess two of the females we bought were already pregnant when we brought them home! Trust me it was no fun! Salt water is a huge hassle too!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 10:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Beta is a good bet too!
    usbornebooksdh

• defintely a beta fish. you don't need a pump or anything .. jus feed them and clean their bowl regularly. ONLY get ONE male fish or ONE female fish. they need to be kept apart b/c they will kill each other if put where they can see one another.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Betas are good fish- they don't even really need a tank, just a bowl. They breed naturally in the wild in puddles, so they don't like a lot of space. If you want a good tank fish start out with something like tetras; they are usually pretty hardy just stay away from the small rainbow tetras. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Beta!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree, get a Beta. My 3yr old takes care of hers and we've had it since Christmas and its still alive. If they can survive a 3 year olds care they can survive anything lol

We have hers in a 2.5 gallon tank we got from walmart, it has a small pump and a filter. But we just use sink water and beta food.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 10:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Beta is what we have, they are very hardy fish and the males are gorgeous. My son talked my husband into getting a female and just stuck it into the male's tank. I wouldn't recommend it. The male chases her around and the female actually eats his beautiful fins. Our male is black that fades into a really pretty cerelean blue. His name is SoulCrusher. (lol!) and the female is the red/purple combo named Miley. They have been together for about 6 months, and no babies.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• A beta. Mine started out as a little guy and 3 years later he's still around, and big. Beautiful too! The kids feed him, so in my book, betas are troopers since the kids haven't killed him.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009