Should I just give up on hope?

My baby is only 3.5 months but since birth he has been horrible at sleeping. He wakes up every hour sometimes...he'll never go longer than 2 hrs of sleep...should I just expect it to be this way indefinately? Women have been surviving on little to no sleep for ages so I can do this right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put alittle rice ceral in his bottle and he may sleep longer- my doctor said I could do it @ 3 months- Good luck and buy a sound machine to block out noices in the house- I use the sound that sounds like an air condtioner and he loves it.
    Anonymous

• Make sure you burp him after bottles they wake up if they have a tummy ache. Try the rice cereal just alittle to make the fornula thicker so he has a full tummy at bedtime.
    Anonymous

• DONT put rice cereal in your babies bottle. 3 months is too young for cereal. and it should only be given by spoon anyway. UNLESS your babies pediatrician says otherwise.

just try to sleep when your baby sleeps. have you tried having him sleep in a swing, or go on a walk with him in his stroller or any other techniques?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• no, he'll grow out of it..... eventually. i got my son a sound machine for his room. i had originally thought white noise would be the best but he prefered the cricket one lol. also, it's not too early to establish a sleepytime routine.... that helps too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• LOL dont lose hope yet! I discovered something amazing around 4 months (my son too was a terrible sleeper! adn very colicky!) we let him sleep in his swing. He went from sleeping less than 2 hours to sleeping 4 hours. A month later he started sleeping 6 hours and a month later he was up to 10 hours! The transition back from swing to baby bed (or crib) has been a little rough but at least once I get him to sleep he sleeps for 10 hours now (he is 10 months and has been sleeping in his crib for almost a month now) We got whats called a fisher price soothing motions glider. Its like a little baby hamock on a base that moves side to side or fron to back. Its a life saver and worth every penny. What we learned was that my son had pretty significant reflux within teh normal range but on the high end and his acid levels would rise when he was laying down (this waking up every half hour) sleeping in the glider he was slightly cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If he is FF maybe you need to switch brands. He may have a bellyache. Please don't put cereal in his bottle its a choking hazrad.
    Anonymous

• hazard*
    Anonymous

• but still reclined what also helped us was dr harvery karps cd the happiest baby on the block it has arrangements of womb sounds that work like magic and it was the soundtrack to our household up until he was about 6 months old. there is hope! Dont give up yet!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• also please dont do cereal in the bottle unless your pedi recommends it! previous posters are absolutely rigth about needing to feed it by spoon between 4 and 6 months old
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• TRY ALITTLE RICE CEREAL IN THE BOTTLE- MY SON WOULDNT SLEEP UNTIL HE FELT FULL AND NOW HE IS ONE AND HEALTHY_ AND THE DOC SAID I COULD DO IT ! IT WORKS.
    Anonymous