being lazy

my 1 year old yorkie has started being lazy, at least that is what i think it is. we have a dog door and a fenced in yard, and lately at night instead of going outside to pee, he goes on the carpet. what can i do? i have thought of putting a puppy pad where he goes so its not a mess, but would that make him think its okay to go in the house? any advice would be appreciated. thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I would put a kennel against the door so he can sleep in it, but also get out side at night...he wont pee in the kennel.
    Anonymous

• Also if he has just started doing this you may want to have him checked by a vet for various medical issues, such as UTI or bladder infection. Sometimes a dog will go in the house or can't hold it with these issues. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yorkie with Urinary Infection - sounds like a possible UTI - he may not be lazy at all...

If he is not Fixed, it could be marking????

How about going to the vet for a good check over -

here are some supplements for urinary infection prevention:  Cranberry and more:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2008/12/21-month-old-male-1.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree about UTI. Also, no I would never suggest using puppy pads as it WILL teach that it is okay to pee in the house.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yorkies are really hared to potty train, first get the carpets professionaly cleaned! Dog always go to where the scent is. I would put a puppy pad in a location by a door, and praise him when he uses it. Yorkies sometimes can't be taught to go outside (it is a big scary world to them) if you can get him used to the puppy pad that is at least better than ruining your carpet! Good Luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2009