Terrible 3s?

Okay so my 3 year old has just been throwing HUGE temper tantrums. When I put her in time out she FLIPS out, starts to scream on top of her lungs, spits, kicks pulls out her hair. Is that all normal? Or is my kid possed? Hehe I know she isn't just wanted to throw that in there for some humor. :D. But for real are these normal?

Younganproud

Asked by Younganproud at 10:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 3yr old who has been extremely mean here lately. idk why. I just figure its a phase since i have a friend with a 3yr old who has been saying and doing the same things. Just stand your grounds and hold on for dear life! Good luck.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Normal...my son started then about a week after he turned 3. I threw some water on him when he lost control of himself and then the tantrum settled down to a normal level - the water "woke" him up so that he could get control of himself again, which is something ALL 3 year olds want...control. I only threw water on him when HE lost control, not when it was a normal tantrum...this went on for about 4 months before he was able to keep control of himself and only occasionally loses control nowadays - he just turned 4. While he doesn't have tantrums nearly as often as he did, at this stage they are much more vocal and public than when he was 3.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• welcome to age 3! But i promise it gets better at their 4th b day!
    MommieButterfly

Answer by MommieButterfly at 11:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• hahah I have 3 1/2 year old twins. And I thought what is every one talking about terrible 3's. They were sooooo good and easy to care for....OMG the last few months they have been little devils. I think tho that at that age they are just trying to figure out what they can get away with...so your not alone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• "Whoever said the twos were terrible never had a three year old."
    Good luck, lol. Been there, done that numerous times. My youngest is currently 3 and has turned into a sassy little monster. She gets into every thing and thinks she can get away with it because she is the youngest and the "cutest" (these are her words). Between her and my ODD 9yo I'm so stressed out I have constant migraines and I'm ready to run away from home, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• oh honey it's totally normal , so grab a drink and bunker down cause it only gets worse before it gets better... good luck
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 2:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Make sure she is in a safe area and cannot hurt herself and let her have the fit! She is wanting control and is testing you to see if she can throw the fit and you will give in. Three year olds want to be independent and control the situation. One thing that helps is if you can often let her make choices between two things, both of which are alright with you.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

•   Yes the ying and yang of 3 year olds.  I too have 3  1/2 year old twins Yes they are more independent, can be so cute and funny, but there is a darker side: testing, no patients, fighting, starting to tattle on each other, fibbing,  not listening, talking back, just general mischief. At least for me they take turns being bad  :)

jaded011471

Answer by jaded011471 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I still don't quite understand why it's called the "terrible twos". Two was NOTHING compared to this, LOL. My guy is 3 1/2 & I only hope things level out by 4 or I'm gonna loose my mind. I think it's all about the testing, though, he's being told constantly that he's getting to be such a big boy (like with using the potty, speaking well, helping out) but, he's also told that he's too little for some things too (trying walk off by himself, certain games or toys, etc.) He's trying to find out where that boundary is, trying to cross it, & trying to find out what'll happen if he does cross it, AND THEN he'll do it again, he needs to know what he can count on for security, I just try to remember why he does it & stay consistent w/ rewards/punishments. GL Mama!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Okay so she isn't posesed? Ok that is a releaf. Well Thank you all for you're advice. I have my 3 yr old an a 2 year old an they DON"T take turns.. When one is throwing a fit so is the other... They last FOREVER, its like having twins.. Wow I am so ready to run away... Don't they have like a cheap "Hide-A-MOM" Getaway? lol.. Oh well I can't wait till there past the 3's. My mom said the worst was 4 but honestly does it get worse after 3 with the fits? I don't know this is the worst I have EVER seen....
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 6:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009