To circumcise or not to circumcise? What is your opinion on it?

I most likley will but I wanted to be well rounded about the decision to or not to do it. What are your views on it? Did/would you do it or not? Why?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 11:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is NOT harder to clean an intact penis. When they are babies all you have to do is wipe it like a finger. After that, anywhere from around age 2 up to puberty the foreskin naturally retracts on it's own and then they just have to pull it back and wipe. NO BIG DEAL. You never forcefully retract the skin as a baby because that can cause pain and tears that can lead to infection. FYI.

As a matter of fact, due to issues with circ's being done too tightly more and more doctors are doing looser circ's where some skin is left over and you have to push it back to clean it and to be sure it doesn't try to "heal" back to the head of the penis. So in many cases now it's actually easier to clean an intact baby boy.

The rates are about 50-50 now so he won't be all that different.

And be sure to check with your insurance because some no longer cover it because it's a "cosmetic procedure", so you may have to pay out of pocket.
    Anonymous

• not needed.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i did. get him circumsized!!! he will get made fun of my his girlfriends and be embarrased when his friends talk about it. only jewish people dont circumsize.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• LOL jewish people DO circumsize. At 8 days old.

My boys are not circumsized. If a future gf makes fun of him, she's immature and not worth his time. Its not medically needed, and if they decide they want it done in the future, they are more than welcome to alter their bodies as they see fit.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Honestly if you want to be "well rounded" about it, do not seek answers here. You should know better. Do your own research, talk to your hubby and the DR and make YOUR decision from there with your hubby or s/o.

Anonymous

• we did - it was not a religious thing (by the way jewish people do circumcize - it is a religious ritual) but my husband was very comfortable with it, and it keeps things cleaner.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I did it with my first and I deeply regret it, I am glad I got some sense by time my second son was born. It is not neccessary, and I will not allow society to tell me that it is necessary for him to fit in or not get teased.
    Anonymous

• circumcise!! My reasons: better Personal hygiene, and nobody likes to go through life feeling different. We all feel different enough, this is something you have control over.. don't make him different unless it's for a personal or religious reason.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my baby's father doesn't have it done and he isn't Jewish and never got made fun of for it. But I heard if their not, they are more likely to have UTI and get infections because you have to clean it ALOT more intricately and I find that harder to do for a little boy while being potty trained.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Me and my hubby don't have a boy but after reading some stuff on CM the other day, I told him "if we ever have a boy, he will not be circumsized". I wasn't serious, I just wanted to see what he'd say. My hubby flipped. I'm leaving all penis-related decisions to him. lol
    MarleighsMommy

Answer by MarleighsMommy at 11:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009