If I am due when my husband is at basic or school will they let him come home for the birth?

mdhart03

Asked by mdhart03 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's my understanding that they won't. He joined the army so he chose that.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Certainly not during Basic. MAYBE during school, but he has to have earned some leave. They generally don't let them leave things like that, unless it's a Red Cross emergency...meaning there has been a death in the family, or the death of a family member is imminent.

Whether he chose it or not, it sucks. I hope your hubby will be home to see the birth of your baby!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• probably not. i wouldn't count on him being there sorry..
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• during basic NO unless there are SERIOUS complications(like you or the baby are in danger of dying) school, Not really. again you or the baby would have to be just about ready to die. I know this may be harsh, but this is part of military life. they miss MAJOR events ALOT!!! especially depending on the branch. I have sooo many friends who haven't had the Active duty member their for their kids first birthdays,births, funerals(unless it is immediate family and depending on branch) we waited for 3 and a half years to even start trying because we knew deployments were going to prevent him being home for a birth. AND even with all the planning and trying to time it right, we still have to hope that orders to Iraq or afghan dont pop up! the military you can RARELY plan anything, and even then anything the military says is "in stone" the military can still change it. You really have to learn to "suck it up" when it comes to him (con
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 11:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Have a camera ready and take lots of pictures or video it. The other ladies summed up the rest. GL!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Basic? no chance in hell... school - it depends on how well he is doing, wether or not he is scheduled to be out in the field -things like that etc... if he requests it ahead of time or lets them know etc - they are a little more leaniet

my Hubby is a drill instructor, he suggests having a video camera packed for when you go, and dont count on him there but you never know... you could be suprised =)
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 1:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2009