6 yr old terrified to be alone?

My son just turned 6 and is super needy. He constantly asks for someone to come over, or mom or dad to come play with him, and refuses to be in a room alone because he says he is scared to be by himself. He is an only child.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before? How do I handle it?

cateachinmama

Asked by cateachinmama at 11:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just curious to know if you ever had him on a playdate where you dropped him off at another home? Has he ever been in daycare before?

Maybe sign him up for acitivities at the library or the school, park distirct , etc. Once he gets to have fun with other kids his age, I think it may help out.
    geminitoygirl

Answer by geminitoygirl at 11:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• He does do playdates, nothing regular though. He spends whole days with his friends when we do play dates, and as long as he has someone to play with he is fine.

He has never been in day care though he did stay with my aunt while I worked and she never told me anything like this happening when he was with her.
    cateachinmama

Answer by cateachinmama at 12:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have a 6yr old to, and he does like to play with his friends alot, and he would rather play with toys in living room , or hall way that seems to help him as long as he picks up toys im okay with it.. and ask him why he's scared.. i mean did he hear a kind of nose or something outside and thinks its from his room....
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 12:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2009