Soda tax to stop obesity??

What next??

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/27/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5192172.shtml

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 11:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Toilet paper tax to wipe your ass (wait, I think some states already charge that)
    If you don't want to pay tax on soda, then don't drink it.
    I have to say though, soda isn't the only libation contributing to obesity. There are a lot of fruit juices that are high in sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• lol-the tax is 3 cents per soda. If you want a soda, 3 cents isnt going to stop you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Also, soda isnt not the reason for obesity in this country-its called people cant stop eating. We as a nation are addicted to food, fast food, pizza, soda, candy, etc... The government wants money, they dont give 2 craps about the health of the people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Won't work. How many times do you see someone order a combo meal w/ a diet coke? Lots of fat people drink diet pop. It mentally (not physically) offsets the other 5000 calories. But aside from that, diet pop is more fattening than regular. Artificial sweeteners are appetite stimulants. They block the chemical that tells your brain to stop eating. If people did swap from regular to diet because of the tax, they might initially lose a few pounds, but after a few months they'd be eating even more than they were before.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• The committee -- the last congressional panel expected to produce its own recommendations for health care reform -- listened to arguments earlier this year both for and against imposing a three-cent tax on sodas as well as other sugary drinks, including energy and sports drinks like Gatorade.
    _______________________________________
    From your link. Where does it even say it made it into their proposed legislation, which, by the way, is just one of a number of plans?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/12/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5009316.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Its a tax being proposed. It didn't say it was IN the healthcare bill. (sigh)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• does this include diet pop?
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If someone is not healthy and chooses to be fat and unhealthy that is thier choice. Should they pay the same for health insurance as someone like me who does eat right, drinks water, exercises and stays fit? No way. I should get a break on what I pay since someone like me is not a burden on the healthcare system. We should pay less. I go to the doctor once a year for a physical same goes with my husband and children. One of my kids has never been sick she is 16 years old. My other kids have had 3 colds between them. Seems we are doing our part to keep costs low we should see a break. If someone wants to be fat and unhealthy they are choosing to pay more for insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• This is the first thing that will be taxed, I expect more to follow.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Opens way too many doors, imo.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2009