SERIOUS Horse owners - do you have insurance?

If you do, with who??

I have Great American Insurance and am thinking about changing when this year is over, and was wondering what other people thought about their own insurance companies & if they'd recommend them?

KalieGirl

Asked by KalieGirl at 12:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pets

• We have insurance with Farm Bureau and my non-showing registered Quarter Horses are insured against accidental death but not natural causes. It only costs me $4 per year. I'm also protected as part of my homeowner's policy for any injuries resulting from my horses' actions or human stupidity. I do not have equine health insurance.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was just talking about this with my boss tonight. She owns a few horses and has insurance. She had a horse that got injured and sick a few years ago and the final bill came to be $15,000 so since then she has gotten insurance and recommends it. :)
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Insurance on a horse is really only financially sound if the horse is of great value or has the potential to produce great value. I'm sorry I have no resources for you, we don't insure our animals. Some of the equine magazines have alot of advertisements in the back for equine insurers maybe you can take a look at the magazine rack and read the advertisements. Or contact the American Quarter Horse Association's website for recommendations.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thanks you guys, my horse(s) are of great value... & are by no means regular show horses... I was just trying to find out what other people may think of their insurance(s) if they had their horses insured.

yes, I read the article in the back and have called around but it's ALWAYS a different story when you hear it from the people who are paying them for their services.

KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 12:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I was told that we should have insurance through our homeowners. However we don't own our home. My dh knew someone at his work that was riding her horse on a county road. A driver hit her while on horseback. I guess the incident was covered by their insurance.
    God forbid a horse gets out of the fence and into the road. I think that is when the insurance comes into play-if there is an accident.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2009