what are the basic necessities you nd in the beginning

What are the basics you just couldn't live with out I'm going to breastfeed and want to know the basics you need and could not liv e without that made your life so much easier

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Diapers. Your breasts. Lansinoh. Nursing pads. A pillow (boppy or a bed pillow) to support the baby. Nursing bra.

Done. Everything else is optional.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• that lanolin that you put on your nipples if they get cracked or bleeding. i think it's called lanosh or something? medical grade lanolin.... anyway, it's really great
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Exactly what gdiamante said! That's all you need!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• diapers, and it depends on if ur going to breast feed or formula feed..or if u do both then a few small botlles and u can use a pillow to support the baby
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• diapers, wipes, nursing pads, vitamin e works great on your nipples too, nusing bra,
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Nursing pads and a breast pump (I had electric and a hand pump) were both lifesavers for me. In the beginning I was really shy about whipping out a boob in public, so I'd pump a bottle in the car before we went in anywhere.

Also, I never could figure out how to swaddle very well, so another lifesaver were those baby sleeping bag-suits (dunno what they're called). It's like a jumper sleep suit for a baby and then it has this wrap that snaps around baby, so it makes them feel like they're being swaddled. I LOVED those! I had 3!
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 12:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• This is what I'm talking about

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D99M3CB9L.jpg
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 12:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm still LOLing at what gdiamante said..."your breasts!" But yeah, it's all needed. I couldn't live without my boppy pillow. A television also helps for the middle of the night feedings when you're BORED OUT OF YOUR FLIPPIN' MIND. Also, keep some fresh water by your bed or wherever you will nurse so you keep hydrated. You may want to have bottles available to pump and freeze milk whenever you can. Oh, and one thing you need to know (no one told me this part...I learned the hard way) be sure to pump or nurse (or both) right away, but especially RIGHT when your milk starts coming in. (Can be up to a few days after birth.) Even if you get the chance to sleep for more than 4 hours upon arriving home, don't go longer than that or your boobs will get hard, SORE as HELL, hot and shiny. IT HURTS if you become engorged and it's a bit of a painful process to relieve them. Hope this helps. Best of luck!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2009