panic/anxiety

What is wrong with me...I am just starting on Paxil and Buspar....I wish I could know if its gonna work. It sucks gettin on it and coming off...wha to do? i don't wanna be on meds. I'm scared to be on them, scared of the side effects. I dunno anyone else dread night/ sleep??? I used to love it sooooo much, but ill doze off wake up almost every 2 hours! panicky. this is awful I am living with my army husband we've been apart for almost 9months n can't even sleep with him! I stay on the couch watchin tv until i doze. Also my 5yr old likes sleeping on the couch with me now. Help please!

ArmyWife2Reid

Asked by ArmyWife2Reid at 12:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• Have you tried switching meds? I've been on Welbutrin XL and it was great! I'm not sure if it's meant more for depression or anxiety, but I'm sure it would do you some good. I know the feeling with not wanting to be on meds. Have you tried excersing more or doing something like yoga? That helps with stress. And eating a balanced diet.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have anxiety too. I talked to a phyciatrist and I was on Zoloft. It helped... it went away. Now 5 years later it's back and twice as bad! Like you it happens a lot when I am sleeping/ trying to fall asleep. I jump up and my hearts beating so fast I feel like I am having a heart attack. It's depressing because it affects my everyday life....My doctor put me on Paxil too. I took it for a little while but it didn't seem to help much. I stopped taking it and I am trying to deal with it on my own, but I'm realizing I can't. I made me an appointment to get back on medication even though I absolutly HATE it. From personal experience I'd say take the meds. I didn't have any side affects with Paxil it helped but I didn't take it long enough to work 100%. I'd also find a phyciatrist or counselor to talk to.. I think that helped the most...I know I'm not much help but if you need anything or have any questions I can try to help
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• and look for answers with you. I've been dealing with this since 2002 so I know its hard...i wish you the best of luck and hope everything turns out okay :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• thanks so much. yes i am seeing a councilor only been once, it kinda helped. I am also going to see a psychiatrist on the 7th of aug. I am taking my paxil. just started like 4 days ago. i am also taking buspar for the anxiety. I guess its kinda working still scared to go to sleep. like u i wake up feeling like my insides are shaking!
    ArmyWife2Reid

Answer by ArmyWife2Reid at 1:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I took Paxil for 15 years and it suddenly stopped working. Now we are in the loop of trying to see what does. I suffer from GAD, Panic, and OCD. It just stinks, flat out. No other way to describe it. Right now, I am taking Klonipan, which I have also taken for about 1 years and Zonigran, which is a mood stabilizer. Have good and bad days, and am not sure which outweighs which, but if you need to talk or want to be friends, just let me know. I have travelled this road for a long time and I guess I always will. I accept it and go on. It is just the way life is.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 7:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I've taken a very small dose of Klonopin for 14 years after suffering from uncontrolled panic attacks for 16 years before that. I still have some breakthrough attacks during extremely stressful times. I think you can't rely completely on meds; you should also learn relaxation techniques like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation to control your thoughts, etc. Understanding panic attacks will help: they are the body's overreaction to a perceived threat. Your brain OVER stimulates the fight or flight response. Relaxation techniques force your body to stop reacting. Getting up and moving around will help. Focusing your thoughts stops the brain's runaway thinking.

You have to give Paxil and Buspar time to build up in your body for them to be fully effective. That's why I love Klonopin; it starts to work within 45 minutes and the only side effect I notice is drowsiness.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

I also strongly recommend going to the library and picking up a copy of No More Panic by Claire Weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009