Potty training our developmentally delayed almost 4 1/2 year old.

We have been attempting to potty train our son for over a year and we are at wits end. We have tried getting him underwear of his favorite characters. We have rewarded him with stickers/ M& M's etc, we take him to the potty while we are out. He goes potty perfectly when he has a bare butt. But when we put him in a pull up or big boy underwear he seems to feel free to go in them, even when we have him sit on the potty every half hour to hour. He will go in his pants 5 minutes later. We can't afford for him to go through 4 outfits a day and we do not have our own laundry. We are trying to put him in pull-ups only at night and if we go somewhere, with still taking him potty. We are getting VERY frustrated. Can anyone help with suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a teacher of preschool children with delays. My first response is that by using pull-ups part of the time and underwear the other times, your son is probably confused. Some of the time he gets wet when he pees in his pants(regular underwear) and some of the time he does not get wet when he pees.(pull-ups) You stated that he goes potty perfectly when he is naked. That is because he has learned that when naked, if he pees it will run down his leg and is wet and gross! When wearing something, he is unsure.

I would continue to take him on a timed schedule or every 30 minutes. Don't ask him, just take him after you say,"_____ it is time to potty." Keep a chart with the date and time and mark every 30 minutes if he was wet, dry, had a BM or had success in the potty. This will maybe help you see a pattern for when he goes each day. Continue to use a reward of something he REALLY wants, consistently. (continued)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Make a chart for his stickers if you use that so he can see how well he is doing and also to help him keep from loosing them. Since he goes when naked and will at least half the time go when using underwear, I would say, go with the underwear consistently so he can feel the wetness and learn that the underwear do not obsorb or keep him dry. The main objective is to help him have alot of success so he gets excited about potty time and realizes he can do it. Let me know if this helps or if you or if I can help in any other ways.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son is 4.5 yrs old too with developmental delays. We have been attempting to potty train him too. We put the underwear under the diaper/pullup and it helps him feel the wetness when he does but keeps the clothes and everything else dry. We take him every time he signs potty. My son goes potty everyday with a few hits and misses. We do the same rewards as you do. But we also when he goes on the potty a certain # of times he gets a bigger item from like the dollar store. It takes time to potty train special needs kids. just keep trying i know that is hard to hear but he will get the hang of it.
    Anonymous