My best friend's son is addicted to pot and she is just looking the other way, she says he can't get help cause it's only pot?!?!

Hi, I am very concerned for my best friend's son. He has been smoking pot for at least 6 months that I know of, my friend tells me almost every day that he was high. He already got kicked out of school for smoking pot IN school, and will be going to an alternative school. He has been getting high all summer long. My friend says she thinks he will "grow out" of this, she is always making excuses for him. She says weed is not addictive anyways and he could quit if he wanted to, but he is bored and that he doesn't do it EVERY day so it's not that bad. I told her he is addicted and he needs help. She said if she went to a rehab place for him that they would say he doesnt need to be there. Her husband disowns the son. Any advice???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Not much advice, except to let her know that weed is aka the "gateway drug", people who smoke weed are more likely to try other drugs and more hard core drugs. I see it all the time. They start off smoking weed and end up doing crack, or heroin. I would kill my son if I caught him smoking weed.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Weed is non addictive and it takes her son actually willing to quit for any rehab to work!
    In this case, it very well could lead to other drugs and unless he is willing to quit there isn't much she can do! My BIL went to rehab and still smoked when he got out! No, he doesn't now at 15, he started at 8 yrs old and has never done any other drug. However his sister has done a lot of other drugs but is drug free now at 17. When he is ready to quit, he will... sounds like he is more interested in getting high and probably really depressed.
    I hope things get better for him soon! sorry, it really takes him quitting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well my hephew started out on just pot. Two years later he was into crack and prescription pain meds. Now before all the recreational users here attack me honestly (never did drugs) I have no clue if it's addictive but I believe like alcohol and food it's addicting to some. She needsw to address this issue with him and watch him.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I really think the main issue here isn't him smoking pot, but that he may be depressed or have other issues. I would suggest she take him to his dr and ask some questions. Let the dr talk to him in private. I am not totally against ADULTS smoking pot, but I would be worried about a child, and what they may try next. IMO...the "Dare" programs they have in school are making things worse....they tell kids that pot is a bad drug and it will kill you...then kids try it and see it's not that bad, so they must have lied about the other drugs too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Before around age 20, the brain is still developing. Your firiend's son is risking brain damage

Answer by rkoloms at 1:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Its true. Weed is NOT addictive. When I was in High School I was friends with the stoners of my school..but the thing is I never smoked pot. I was offered it more times then I could count but I never did it. But I will tell you they were the happiest years of my life. They were the nicest and most geniune people I have ever met. I will admit I think it was a waste of money. But that is their own choice. You shouldnt really worry unless it leads to stronger drugs. Thats when the kid needs help. Getting high is not harmful or anything horriblly bad. I mean look its used medically in some states.
    jhutch8267

Answer by jhutch8267 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2009