To the women that have your tubes tied

DH and I decided that in february when I bring our 3rd child into the world if my VBAC is not successful and I have to have a c-section yet again we are going to tie my tubes. If my VBAC is successful which I am praying hard that it will be we most likely still will have it done.

My question is how does it make you feel that your tubes are tied and was it a hard thing to deal with? We are certain this is our last but I am 27 so something so permanent scares me a little bit. I know it can be reversed but I refuse to get cut open again. If we get the baby blues in a few years then we can adopt. I am just unsure of how this permant thing is going to weigh on my feelings, so I would like some honest feedback.

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 2:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• After my 4th baby I had my tubes tied at the age of 26 and I don't really regret it. Now sometimes I get the baby blues and want another one until I look at my kids and say NO. lol. I have enough kids to raise plus I always have complications with labor and have always been high risk patient. You will get the baby blues but I think you will be fine and like you said if you really want another baby you can adopt or even get your tubes untied. Now the doctor said I would have no problems really after I had my tubes and he was wrong I was in severe pain for a little over week and got very ill. My sister was in the same pain. Good luck with your decision.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had my tubes tied after my third child. My husband and I divorced later on. I met a new man and would love to have had his child, but I honestly don't think I made a bad choice by having a tubal ligation done. I think you should talk it over with your hubby and make sure this is what you want. Raising children these days is not an easy task....but this is certainly a personal choice. I have no regrets....yes I wanted my new hubbys child...but I have three children I adore already.....Best of Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Unless you're 100% sure, don't get it done. Because like you said, it can be undone but it isn't always successful and it's surgery.
    I had three children and with my last I had my tubes tied and I regretted it as soon as I woke up. I do, personally, feel like less of a woman because I lost the ability to "make" babies... know what I mean? And I get the baby fever alot and I can't do anything because I can't have anymore... really regretting it now that my three are getting older and in school and everything.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• had my tubes tied when I was 24, when I gave birth to my second child. I don't regret it. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time, and I knew that as a single mom, I didn't want more than the two I had. I am in a new relationship now, and while it would be nice to be able to consider having a child with him, I don't really feel like I need to, and he's fine with the fact that we won't have a child together. Plus my kids are old enough now (8&5) that I wouldn't really want to go back to diapers, midnight feedings, and all that again.

I would say if you have any doubts at all, don't do it. It can be reversed, but they tell you upfront that reversal doesn't mean you'll get pregnant, and I believe (I can't find the figures on it) that it doesn't work more often than it does. You could always get something like an IUD or an implant, that would be more long term and less work than the pill, but would still give you options
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had my tubes tied after my 4th child....I knew that I was done. I have had a few times over the years that I wished I could have a baby...but these didn't last long, and really I have never regretted it. It was the best decision for me. Not long after I became a grandma...so that cured my baby blues!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You're still young. I would go for an IUD instead.

I'm 33 and will have my 3rd c-section in December and plan to get my tubes tied, but there is a huge difference between 27 and 33!
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• You sound just like me when I had my last one 6 years ago. I had a c-section and the tubal at the same time. I felt that I was done with having kids and my husband and I have been trying to adopt ever since. However, a week ago I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and even though I know I cannot have any more birth children, it is still extremely hard to deal with. It is quite overwhelming to KNOW without a doubt that I will never feel a baby kick in my tummy again, or see myself pregnant again. I'm only 36, but the surgery was necessary to keep me alive. Anyway, you can always have a tubal reversed --costs about $15,000 and insurance won't cover it. So, think very very hard before you go through with the tubal. Who knows what you may feel five years from now.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Thank all of you for your answers I will think long and hard and be absolutely 100% before making the decision to do it or not to it. Some of you have opened up other doors for me that I had not thought of - I appreciate that!
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009