Do you ever...?

When you can't sleep do you ever lie awake in bed imagining all the horrible things that could happen to your child? I know that sounds really morbid, but my mind wanders and I'm a new Mom. I just imagine all the terrible things that happen to babies and then I get freaked out. There's way too much to lose now that I have a kid!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes it happens to me and it gets me really sad just to think that something could happen to my baby i love her so much and i'm also a first time mom, congrats on your baby!
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• When I can't sleep I get up and go around to make sure everyone is breathing. I think I did it when my first was born, but it got worse after I found my brother dead in Dec. 07. Now I am always checking hubby and the kids. I think as long as you are doing all the things you know you should do to improve the babys survival rate, then it should ease your worry. Put the baby down on their back to sleep. Don't smoke close to them. Try to give them a pacifier while they are sleeping. My boys wouldn't take pacifiers, but I will try with the next cause they say it helps prevent SIDS since they can't fall into a very deep sleep with it in their mouth.

Just know that the chances of whatever you are worrying about actually helping, isn't likely at all.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yep i do, i think it's a mom thing! I remember asking my mom when my son was born when i was going to stop checking him all the time to make sure he was breathing and she said "When he's about seven" LOL! I think she's right though...
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have done that and still do it with my kids that are grown, I worry about all the things that can happen to them out in the big bad world! lol....it is scary at any age.....but you can't let it eat at you...try to put those thoughts out of your mind and focus on the good things that can and will happen to them.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009