could my milk supply be getting lower because i'm on the pill?

and also i keep forgetting to take my pill on time today i went 3 hours after i was supposed to take it is there any difference?

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 3:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• also is it safe to be on ortho-tri-cyclen while breastfeeding?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Is it the Lo version or the regular? If it has estrogen, STOP taking it. Estrogen is a known supply killer.

SOME women report supply problems with the minipill (no estrogen, this is the Lo version). But you do have to be sure to take it on schedule.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i'm taking ortho tri-cyclen
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• OK. Ortho Tri-Cyclen has estrogen and should NOT be taken by a nursing mom.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO is the non-estrogen version and is safe to take while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• well i guess i have to talk to my doctor about it becasue i'm on a full year program to get birth control free, but i was given the pill supply for 3 months can i just take them to the doctor to exchange them since they have my name on the pill containers?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes, you should be able to go to the doc for this.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• thank you so much for your answers, the thing is that my boobs are getting bigger with less milk and when my DD breastfeeds my nipples get really sore
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• The size of your breasts really doesn't matter. What kind of soreness? Does Lansinoh relieve it for you?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• NO, you should not be on Ortho Tri Cyclen while nursing. You dont want your baby ingesting the Estrogen and the Lo Estrin or the Micronor pills are progesterone only pills. They can be taken while breastfeeding but I am convinced that they effect milk supply. Both my sil and myself nursed to only 4 mos because our milk was gone by then. Mine was completely dry by 4 mos and I did nothing wrong. I was nursing her 8-10 times a day and eating and drinking properly and it still dried up. It was a long time before I put the pieces of the puzzle together. When her milk dried up at 4 mos, then it hit me. I reccomend doing birth control where you simply count days and abstain on your fertile days or use condoms....no hormonal methods. Goodluck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• If you had to pay for a birth control, a apack of condoms would be way cheaper than formula. I'm surprised your doctor left you on that knowing you were breastfeeding!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2009