What can I do to help my 20 month old eat more?

My 20 month year old, Liz, eats little amounts hear and there. For example, for breakfast, she would suck on a peeled orange. Then she says she's all done, but I don't think it's enough, so I distract her and feed her a stage 2 pear jar, which is the only fruit that she eats off a jar now. Then for lunch and dinner, she eats a few bites of a sandwich or pizza or chicken nuggets. I don't know how to encourage her to eat more, or if I'm worrying for nothing. Her weight and height are perfectly normal.

StacyHester

Asked by StacyHester at 5:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If her height and weight are normal, then she's fine. Most kids at this age have a noticeable drop in the amount of food they eat. Make sure you're offering her healthy options and she'll eat when she's hungry.
    Some tips that might help: cut her food into interesting shapes (watermelon is great for this, as are sandwiches - use cookie cutters), my kids liked fruit skewers - the fact that it was on a stick was novel to them, try foods she can dip - chicken nuggest or broccoli "trees" in ranch. Also, make sure she's drinking milk, but not so much that she's drowning her appetite.

Answer by missanc at 8:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Kids go through stages of eating. If her height and weight have remained in the same percentages than there is not much to worry about. However, if you are concerned then you can try cutting back on her milk intake or switching from whole or 2% milk to 1% milk. This still gives her the calcium she needs, but decreases calories and fat, therefore she will want to eat more.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• my son is the same way and he is undrwieght but all i do is snacks and more snacks per day he only gaind 1 lb every 6 months so i feel u but if they say she is healthy than u are ok there appetite will come back when they more active they are the less or more they eat at a time if they dr syas not to worry than u are ok

nikki and jaden
    nikkijaden

Answer by nikkijaden at 3:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2009