Is it easy to put on a backpack carrier by yourself?

I'm looking to use a backpack carrier but do not know how to put on/take off the carrier when I am by myself. The specific situation I am most concerned about is taking my child from the car to the carrier. I know getting the child into the carrier is easy, but how do I hoist it onto myself? From the backpack carriers I have seen thus far you have to insert the baby, sit down, and then hoist the backpack on yourself. However, when you're in a parking lot you do not have the luxury of having a seat to hoist the backpack on (as the car seat does not provide enough clearance to do this).

So far the only carrier I've seen that addresses this problem is the Ergobaby, but I'm also told that the baby's head tends to flop when they've fallen asleep.

I'm looking for a carrier that's easy to use by myself and also provides some support for the child. Does it exist? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used a wrap for #3 LOVED IT!!! mamatoto.org is a great site too.

but I do have a hiking backpack that I also used for all three.

there are handle/loops in the top part - you just have to grab those and pick it up and get one arm in then the other. its not pretty and kinda awkward lol. as for setting it down - I take one arm out then swing it around and hold that handle again.

mine has the kickstand leg that supports the carrier when its sitting on the ground.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• check out www.wearyourbaby.com they haev lots of info on different carriers. i ended up making my own wrap for only $15. i love it!!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Get a jelly bean sling they are awsome! They are five different ways to carry your baby, and it's very easy to use, and comfortable for you and your baby.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have the Chicco kind. You get use to it and figure it out. I have managed to lift it from the ground and on to my back. They have enough straps for your child that their not going to fall out. What I usually do is stick it on the couch at home then sit down in front of it to get it on. As far as the car goes I have a small SUV and I can stick it in the back, put my child in, and then get it on from there.
    Anonymous