How do you curb your hunger?

I'm a severely emotional eater, almost to the point of having an eating disorder. I MUST lose weight for my health.

What are your tips and tricks for staying away from the pantry?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well I switched to drinking water (and 1 cup of coffee a day). Only recently I went an entire day without drinking a bottle of water and noticed that I felt much hungrier. Also, going for a walk when you feel like eating when your not hungry can help. I've heard that brushing your teeth often can make you not want to eat as much, but that method doesn't work for me. And Lastly, it may have to do with the type of food you're eating. Foods with fiber in them will fill you and keep you satisfied longer than empty calories. Try eating whole grains rather than "white" breads and pastas. Add vegetables to your diet and see what it will do for you!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i make hot tea when i feel like munching
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I don't buy alot of snacks, I only buy snacks for the kids, and they are not limitless, so I tell myself if I eat this snack then the kids won't have a snack for tomorrow....makes me feel bad to eat the kids only snacks.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Nutrilite!!! I have 3 kids and this saved my figure by eating right..They have a meal plan and fitness planner..Its awesome..
    Go to: www.dsuriano.qhealthzone.com

copy and paste website to your browser..Good luck!
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I drink a glass of milk and eat an apple.
    It usually holds off hunger for a few hours for me.
    Also a lot of the time you feel hungry it can actually be thirst so when you get hungry down a glass of water before you actually eat something. Its a great trick that really works.
    liamsmom20

Answer by liamsmom20 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• pinkgemini85 offered some good advice. I also chew gum or suck on little mints when I feel like snacking. I mainly snack when I'm bored, so finding something else to do is very helpful, especially if it's something that makes eating impossible (like exercising!). If I MUST snack, I at least try to make it something not too bad--apple slices, baby carrots, or plain popcorn are great. If your main problem isn't how to eat less, but how to not eat when you're feeling down, then my advice would be to find a different outlet for your emotions. Exercising is completely awesome for this. When I'm feeling bummed out, or angry, or someone on cafemom pissed me off lol, a hardcore buttkicking workout does wonders for my mood. It's also helped me lose quite a bit of weight and in turn, helped me be motivated to really take care of my body in other ways too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:24 PM on Jul. 31, 2009