I need help....3yr old God Son wakes up and destroys things at my house

My 3 yr old God Son (soon to be 4 in Nov) stays at my house a lot. Him & his 3mnth old sister, my God Daughter. Well, no matter WHAT time he goes to bed (be it 8pm or 1am (he has a problem going to bed when told for me)) He will wake up & destroy my apartment. Half the time I hear him. Lately he has been quiet about it. He sleeps on my futon couch that folds out to a bed. He will get up, turn the tv on, computer on, pull out my dvds, take them out of the cases, get into things and eat my food, go in the bathroom & mess with things, eat the toothpaste, terrorize my animals, let the ferrets out..you name it, he gets into it. He has mastered the baby gates so they no longer help. He even tries to get into my Iguanas cage (it is locked & I put the key up so he can't) but I get so frustrated because he does all of this all the time. It wasn't even 6am this morning & I had to yell at him to go back to bed he just WOULDN'T listen.

tnkrbell860

Asked by tnkrbell860 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I hate having to yell at him, he is only 3...but I don't know what else to do. He is FINALLY back asleep now. But in the process woke EVERYONE up. His sister, my boyfriend & ALL the animals. So I couldn't even go back to sleep because if I do he will get back up & do it all over again. So the baby was cranky & crying because he woke her up (she sleeps in my room) he took her binki from her & had it in his mouth, woke my boyfriend up by getting into things, so now he's FINALLY back to sleep but cranky cuz he was woken up...he works at LEAST 12hr days & has to get up at 9am...the animals were all running around like it was playtime & it was just havoc in here. I am so tired & aggrevated. No other kids that stay at my house do this. How do I get it to stop? I do NOT have kids of my own yet & want to know how to kick this habit or how to teach your kid it is NOT how things go, you stay in bed & do not touch what is not yours. AND
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• AND he KNOWS that what he is doing is wrong...because he crys as SOON as I catch him. He is the only child I have ever watched that does this. AND I HAVE 9 NIECES & NEPHEWS...2 of my nieces are twins & he causes more trouble then they do. AND when his mom & dad come to get him...he touches all my things, picks things up, throws things...is plain out BAD...hits people, plays with the stereo, goes in the fridge, picks up my cats (which is NOT allowed...I do NOT allow children to pick up my animals because I do not want them to hurt them accidentally). He is fine when they are not here...but when his parents are here he is like a little devil...He even lets the dogs out of the room. I keep them in there when people come over because I don't want them jumping up on them...the golden retriever/lab mix jumps on adults, she is fine around kids...& also so they don't get out the door & run away, the other dog is a rat terrier & will
    tnkrbell860

• run out at every chance he gets...accidents happen, I just want my pups safe. I just don't know what to do...HELP!!!!! WHAT DO I DO??? HOW CAN I FIX THIS???
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• sorry for this I don't know how to make a long post....it stops me at 940 characters

tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That;s crazy. Did you ever try putting him in a playpen in your room to sleep?
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• no...but he would climb out...the baby sleeps in our room when they stay the night....and she sleeps in the pack n play that we have. He climbs over gates and if i put him in a play pen he would probably destroy it...He sleeps fine on the couch...he just gets up and goes into destructive mode... :( maybe its a phase?
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I understand he is your godson and all, but I think you need to let his mom and dad know he needs to straighten out his act. It seems they have let him be this way. If this were me, I would tell them, I love my godson with all my heart but he is no longer to stay here until he respects my home, and myslef. If you ahve to watch him, let it be for a few hours. Make your own set of rules there and follow them. Put his butt in time out and sit there with him till its done. be persitant. but the mom and dad should be the one to be disciplining that kid. I would be so emabarrassed if that was my son. Good thing i taught him manners and to pick his stuff up..
    lala83girl

Answer by lala83girl at 10:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have told them...but he doesn't seem to listen to them either...At least I am learning from everyone else's mistakes...When I have kids I will know what to do/not to do and have a better insight on things :D
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• That is dangerous. Something bad is going to happen to him. You need to fix this problem soon before CPS knocks on your door or the police telling you that they found him a mile down the road.
    Anonymous

• he can't get out the doors. I have a hard time opening them. He never tries to leave...just destroys stuff, eats my food/snacks, takes all my dvds/movies out....I am awake until I KNOW he is sound asleep and 9 out of 10 times I hear him when he gets up or I will get up just before he wakes up. He is still really tired though when he does do this...like this morning...he went back to sleep for like another 4hrs after.....
    tnkrbell860

Answer by tnkrbell860 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2009