Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have to claim money from a babysitting job?

I"m going to start watching a child before school for $60 a week, that would be like $240 a month, do I have to turn this in as income?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (23)
  • i dont know for sure ( i would assume no ) BUT if your getting paid by the state meaning if this person is getting help from the state and the state is paying u then yes u have to do taxes and u will owe because they dont take any states they dont and it will be your job to do so...but i have babysat on and off a long time and dont pay taxes ( if not state involved) good luck...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • YES. Anything 600.00 and over.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • in response to last answer, do you mean monthly right $600? so I wouldnt have to turn in $240?


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • No $600 yearly.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • IraqiVetWife is correct. The IRS requires any individual who makes more than $600 a year to report this as income.

    Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • You don't have to report it at all unless they intend on giving you a 1099 at the end of the year, which should not happen. As long as your income balances out or exceeds your expenses for that year, then you don't have to claim it. Meaning you can't have 36,000 of bills a year and only claim your household grossed 24,000. Any amount over your yearly expenses you don't have to report, unless a 1099 or W2 says otherwise. I do a lot of side engineering jobs that pay cash and never have to report it unless the company pays check and gives you a 1099.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • As long as the person you are babysitting for doesn't ask you for your social secrity number, then they will not be reporting that they pay child care expenses.....therefore you don't have to report it.

    Answer by robinann5 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • Well you should report it. Being paid under the table is illegal. I can't believe what some people say and think is OK.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • Yes, anything you make over and beyond $600 per year you have to claim. The smart thing would be to take 20% of your earnings every week and put it in a seperate savings account for tax purposes. Chances are you wouldn't have to pay taxes, but it is better to be safe than sorry. And when the time comes to file and get a return, that would serve as your return on that little bit of income.

    Plus, there are things that you can itemize and claim as work expenses since you will be working out of your home. A portion of your utilities, housing expenses and if you have to buy anything for the job. Seek advice from a CPA... they will give you specifics.

    Answer by RutterMama at 11:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

  • If you earn more than $600 a year from a single source, you must report it as taxable income.

    Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.