I have had 2 miscarriages in a row and just found out it is because I have abnormal ANA. I go to see a specialist next week. Has anyone else had this? Is it still possible for me to have a healthy pregnancy? What is the treatment? Please help me find some hope.

clould10

Asked by clould10 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never tested positive for this but i have read about it. I would tell you to go to see a Rhumatologist for testing.

There is a connection between ANAs (antinuclear antibodies) and recurrent miscarriages. ANAs suggest the possibility of autoimmune diseases. One of the most well-known autoimmune diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus) is associated with ANAs in 95% of patients. Women with lupus that become pregnant have a 15% risk of loss of pregnancy. Another autoimmune condition that is associated with both recurrent miscarriages and ANAs is the anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. Women with this syndrome produce phospholipid antibodies (such as anticardiolipid antibody and lupus anticoagulant) that increase the risk of premature miscarriage. Women with recurrent miscarriages should be tested for phospholipid antibodies.

Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 8:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009