Patience?

Patience

"There are many who excuse themselves, saying that if they were in other circumstances they would be much more patient. This is a grave mistake, for it assumes that virtue is a matter of geography, and not of moral effort. It makes little difference where we are; it all depends on what we are thinking about."
Fulton J. Sheen

For Reflection:
What is the connection between my thoughts and my actions? How can my thoughts help me to acquire patience regardless of my exterior circumstances? Where ought my thoughts be fixed if I am to grow in virtue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You know, its funny that you post this. I ask God quit often to give me patience. And I am a firm believer that God likes to teach us with our surroundings and circumstances. I am currently in a situation that I have no control over and I must be 'patient'-and I really don't have any means to speed up the process~its driving me crazy. But I see it as a test>I need to be grateful and appreciate where I am and what I have. I have been 'patiently' waiting for over 2 weeks now and the anxiety is reaching max. levels-but I am trying to take each day patiently and learn from it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• THE CONNECTION BETWEEN MY THOUGHTS AND MY ACTIONS IS COMPASSION. I MUST THINK OF OTHERS AND PLACE MYSELF IN THEIR SHOES.

Answer by older at 8:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I try not to ask God for patience because patience comes with trials.. and i do not want additional trials. however i seek to have patience by obeying and trying to endure the trials.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• And patience can only go so far. You can't keep yourself in a bad situation and say you are being patient for it to change. Some things will NEVER change, so why stay around and be abused and used just because you are being patient? I'm saying patience is a bad thing, but there are some times when patiences isn't exactly the best thing.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Spirit Have you thought that maybe you need to be patient and wait for the right opportunity? Patient to see what is in the cards or what God wants you to do? To just jump sometimes is a very bad thing. From the pot to the fire.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• The time period that is "patience" is relative. A Christian can know the proper situation-specific timing that God would consider "patience" by relying on HIS timing. Patience has little to do with taking things slowly and being slow to act and solve your problems. True patience is when you choose to act as God leads you and to find peace when you cannot have what you want right when you want it, understanding that everything in God's timing is what is best.

The connection between your thoughts and your actions is integrity. Integrity is the space between your ideal self (who you imagine you'd like to be -your thoughts) and who you actually are (your actions). The narrower your field of "integrity" is, the more your actions reflect your thoughts. Your thoughts should be fixed on Jesus Christ and should govern your actions as Jesus would have you act.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• November this was taken from a Christian site. So of course It's talking about God's will instead of our own, that at times we need to wait for Him., because He knows now maybe not the time. Or maybe never is. So where are your thoughts are they with God? Or yourself? I see that thinking that you would know who Fulton Sheen is without Bishop in front was a little arrogant on my part.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon, my comment was more inresponse to the other responses (specifically spirit_guide's comment) than just the OP. I should have specified that :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Gotcha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I am reminded of a joke. This is the short version, but I think you'll get the point. A man was in a flood and his house was slowly being consumed. A boat, a helicopter and then another boat came to him but he turned them away because God would save him. Well, he ended up drowning and when he got to the pearly gates, he was confused. He said to Saint Peter "I waited for God to save me, what happened?" St. Peter replies "We sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more do you want?"
    See what i mean about sitting around and being "patient?" Sometimes, you have to act on what you feel is best and not "wait around" for the answer to be given. And I find it impossible to believe that your God would want a person to stay in an abusive relationship just because He didn't tell them to leave. He gave us minds and I don't think he would have a problem with us using them every now and again.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2009