Is narcissism an epidemic in this country today?

i heard this topic on talk radio yesterday, such an interesting vocal group responded. i wonder if it's not completely true that it is.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whoa...back up...Theres a big difference in Narcissism vs. Selfishness. Narcissism is a very real mental disorder in which the person truly doesnt see that they feel everything is about them. When in conflict or argument, its always about how it made THEM feel. They truly lack empathy for anyone else. I dont think its because they dont want to, I think its because they cant. Look up the full, exact definition. Selfishness is equal to entitlement. I feel I am entitled to this because I want it and I know youre going to give it to me. Most kids are selfish. I know mine are. Its our job to teach them to be selfLESS but its a time consuming process. I cant stand when people say children are born innocent. No they are not, they are born selfish and we teach them differently. I dont think its because we give them things. Many children who have lots of material things arent selfish. Its the attitude in which they are raised.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I think that too many parents have given their kids everything and not the sense to earn anything for themselves. They have no sense of reward when they work for something. Now, I am not saying all. Many people want to lump together a whole generation, I am in this generation and I have worked for where I am and know many people who work hard for where they are.

I was just in Walmart yesterday getting my oldest a bookbag and shoes for school in a few weeks and there was a boy-early teens who was talking very rudely to his grandparents who were trying to buy him a bookbag. Nothing was good enough-I stood there and stared at him. None of my business, but if my boys ever-I MEAN ever spoke to anyone that way-they'd be in serious trouble. That boy had no appreciation of them trying to buy him something-he could care less.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes, yes, yes it is. I'd add more, J, but then you know I'd be off and running, and I really don't have time this morning, so I will just leave with stating that I believe our society is completely self-centered and "entitled".
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Yes, I believe it is.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• There are TOO many people who feel they are entitled in this country..
    Entitled=NO personal accountability
    Then those people raise kids to feel entitled. Then SOME in government cater to the entitled and before you know it the snowball effect has taken over this nation. It's pathetic.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Try being in a relationship with a Narcissistic person and you will understand. They dont mean to make it all about them, but they dont know any different. They can at times be compassionate to other people not related to them or a person who needs help, but when the situation involves them...they automatically only see how it affects them. Thats totally different. As far as if its an epidemic in this country...No, I dont think so..I do believe selfishness and entitlement are an epidemic though....definitely.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• momofsaee
    great illustration. i agree completely. maybe the talk show host should have restated the title for the hour as selfishness because almost all of the responses took on a retort about selfishness with the calling of it narcissism. and there was no notation of any true mental disorder discussed. great point.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• here's a perfect example of a narcississtic person...Casey Anthony. The young mother in Florida who is now sitting in jail for murdering her 2 year old daughter, and then lying about it. She blamed it on a non-exsistant nanny. And then partied and pole-danced for the first several weeks that the child was gone.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Well, I say the reason my generation (early 20's) are the way we are is because our parents, the Baby Boomers, raised us to be like this! Baby Boomers are the kids of WWII vets and anyone before that time. Most Baby Boomers wanted to raise their kids differently than their parents. Most of the people in my generation were given everything without having to ask for it. I'm no different, I'll be the first to admit that my parents spoiled me rotten. What has it done for me? NOTHING. I didn't even know how to apply for a job when I was 18! So I say it's not completely our fault. We were RAISED to be this way. We can't change overnight into responsible, non-selfish adults. To ask us to is ridiculous, I think.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• JennRN
    i too was at the wallymart yesterday to observe the same type of behavior out of a young man maybe 20 with his mother. when his mother walked a few feet away i leaned over to him and told him if I was his mother I would tear his tail up right there in the store!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2009