What foods and drinks can I take in help with bowel movements?

I only have 1 a day if I am lucky. My doctor says that everyone is different and at the time I ask him I was having 1 every three days. I don't want to take anything if I can keep from it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Health

• Eat fruit everyday. The peels in the pears and apples have the most fiber. And make sure your drinking alot of water. Also I know you dont want to take anything but magnesium is a muscle relaxer and helps with bowels. It doesnt cramp you up like laxatives.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you live in the desert you should drink about 10 glasses a day. If that doesn't work or if you are already drinking this much water restrict your dairy intake, for some people dairy can have a binding affect.

Another natural solution is coffee or tea, especially rooibos (red) tea. For constipation, about 4 cups of red tea will get the bowels moving again, but make sure that you don't have any plans for the rest of the day!!!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• actually, yes you are normal from what you reported here. but if you have a feeling you should "go" everyday there are plenty of things you can do. IF the problem is related to not enough fiber. if you try the fiber things in your diet and no help, try the OTC probiotics like activia.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• lots of liquids, coffee helps, lots of fruit and veggies
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Coffee is a natural diuretic and will help you poop. Fruit, any foods high in fiber.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I had your problem until I started taking 3 Fibercon chewable tablets every day. Now, it's like clock work. I am amazed at how well it works!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Definitely look at your lifestyle.
    Get some exercise, even walking, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 days a week.
    Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Eat 6 servings of whole grains a day
    Eat at least 2 servings of legumes a day.

Meat has no fiber, so go easy on it, or eliminate it.
    Dairy is binding, so go easy on it, or eliminate it,

Answer by rkoloms at 12:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ok, well in answer to your question...
    activia (the yogart) is an excellent source of fiber and is specifically designed to help your intestines, stomach, and bowl movements (it regulates it)

I was having a very similar problem as you are, and non-intentionaly my husband and I have been making fuit smoothies everyday for lunch & ITS AMAZING!!! lol fresh fruit smoothies... believe it or not - it works.

just think of it this was... your pluged up... what kind of *HEALTHY* foods break everything down?
    or what kind of food in the past, as given you diareahha?? no joke - think acidy, fiber foods

but please DRINK WATER!!! lol dont ever forget to hydrate yourself!!

KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 12:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009