Vaginal swelling during pregnancy?

I'm going on being 28 weeks pregnant and last night I noticed the left side of my vagina was swollen and darker. It almost looked purple, plus it hurt. I haven't checked it this morning but it doesn't hurt anymore and I think the swelling went down. Does anyone know if this is just another part of pregnancy or could it be something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• . You may have venal thrombosis, which can be much more uncomfortable than varicose veins. If a vein has squeezed out through the muscle wall and gotten pinched, it may balloon up with blood. This condition can be very painful and definitely needs medical attention. This has never happened to me but i did read about it and known people to have this.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Part of pregnancy, it is increased blood flow to the area. Which is actually why some women feel extremely horny during pregnancy!

MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 8:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree with first poster on having it checked out, the increased blood flow during pregnancy can cause the vulva to swell, and that part is normal, the color is also normal, but to be on the ssafe side to make sure it is not what the PP said, I would atleast inform your doctor.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• It's a normal part of pregnancy. I went rushing to my doctor for the same issue...and it felt like a bruise. It's the increased blood flow and pressure of the baby down there combined.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009