at what age is it ok to give a baby regular oatmeal

at what age is it ok to give a baby regular instant oatmeal? and is it ok to give them the flavored oatmeal like apple and cinnaman flavored

Kiki_pie

Asked by Kiki_pie at 8:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your child is on Stage 2 baby foods, the texture shouldn't be a problem. The flavored ones contain a lot of different ingredients, so I'd be cautious about that, but if the ingredients list only contains one thing that your baby hasn't had before, that's not a problem. Some of the flavored ones also contain chunks that may be too much for a kid on Stage 2 foods, so I'd wait until they move to Stage 3 foods before giving them anything with chunks. Oh, and I'd skip anything with raisins in it, they don't soften up enough.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Around 4-6 months. I'd skip the flavors and just start with the plain. Cinnamon can be an allergy trigger so be careful with that.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 9:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Stage 2 is the same texture as stage 1. Stage 3 foods are a waste of money. Instead, start diced up pieces of table foods.

If they can have oats, they can have the oatmeal. Ours started at about 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I started giving my baby the quick cooking oats with a little baby puree or apple sauce mixec in for flavor. That way, I knew what was in it and there was no added sugar. He loved it. My older son liked it too. I don't remember how old he was when I started that. It was probably after his first birthday because he didn't eat much before that.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 6:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2009