Nuts in school debate

I read all the posts from the Nuts in school.... hell yes question yesterday. Very interesting. Here's what I'd do if my child my child had a peanut allergy. In all the following situations, my child would/have know how to use an epipen as well as the teachers.

1. Child could die ingesting peanuts... my child knows to only eat what I pack in their lunch.
2. Child could die touching peanuts... my child eats at a different table at lunch.
3. Child could die breathing peanut air... my child is homeschooled. At my local school there are about 500 kids. A conservative guess would be 1000 caregivers many of whom can't read English. Iwould not risk my child's life depending on any of them to read labels correctly.

Whether it's a private or a public school, the above ways would be how I would handle it. Notice, I never said I'd make a school change it's policies. My child, my responsibility.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I found it interesting that those people bashing the OP never answered her question about why the no nut policy wasn't extended to the next grade with the child who had the allergies. I would think that if the allergy were that bad, they would change the policy for each grade the allergic child attended OR the entire school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Unfortunately for you, a public school has to be a safe and healthy learning environment for all children. More and more schools are become peanut free zones to accommodate children with special needs. A child with an allergy has a right to an education - and that out weighs your child's right to eat peanuts between 7 am and 2 pm. Not all parents have the ability to home school, but all children in the US are entitled to an education through the public schools.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Last year at this time, I posted the very same question. Not to start drama, of course, but I had never heard of this No peanut policy. I just wanted some insight. I ve heard all the sides of the story and know the ins and outs.....I would never make the school responsible for my childs issue. I am one of those people that has no problem saying that if the public school doesnt work for any reason we have other options. As long as people feel the public government schools are their only choice, then they get demanding. This policy is a entire district policy, so we got used to it. I would never deliberately place another childs life in danger, but I dont always remember. I am human and my children dont have peanut allergies so we DO keep peanut butter in our home. We eat it daily, therefore it might be on my childs things. If my child had THAT bad of an allergy...they would be at home with me. Why take the risk?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• theres that " entitlement" word again.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree wtih OP. You have to draw the line somewhere. If your child's allergies are so severe that merely being near peanuts or the allergen could kill them, they have no business being out in public. Yes, kids deserve to be kids, but if you have some special needs becuase the allergy is so severe, the rest of the would should not stop turning just to accomidate your needs. Schools not serve peanut products is OK, but don't tell me I cannot send peanut butter to school when it's my childs favorite. That's a bit much. If a child is allergic to the sun, we don't curse the sun for shining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I agree with the OP! Both of my children have autism, and they attend BOTH regular ed and autistic support programs...beyond that I have NEVER and will NEVER "demand" that the school cater to my childrens needs beyond the scope of these programs. It is MY job to teach my children rules and expectations at home and at school, and the school's job to teach the basics (I supplement their education) and reinforce the rules and expectations.

My children are very intelligent/both have high IQ scores, so they are capable of learning right from wrong, and that is MY expectation!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Beck,

The question yesterday involved a private school. The OP got bashed for being upset that her private school went to a peanut free policy for one child. Her point was the school is private so the new parent had a choice to send their child there. The school could have told them that it wasn't a peanut free school and let those new parents decide. Instead, it seems, the school changed the policy for that one grade level. The OP was upset b/c the policy didn't extend to the next grade with the child so why have the policy at all. The policy was only for preK and K.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• ANON 9'29:

I wanted to add to your post. When my now 7 year old was entering 3 year old preschool, we had a parent during orientation HAND OUT to all of the parents what SHE WANTED us to do, in order to prevent a peanut allergy reaction in her son...who was allergic to ALL things peanut related--including AIRBORNE!

She went as far as to INSTRUCT us to NOT eat PB or peanut products at HOME on the days we were going to be bringing our children to school!!!

Naturally, the rest of us complained, and the director would not back down. Twelve of us removed our children from the program, because we certainly weren't going to pay $185 per month for a PRIVATE preschool program, and have to live our ENTIRE lives around her one child.

I get that this mother was havinga really difficult time dealing with this allergy, but seriously....to be this demanding at 3-year old PRESCHOOL?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry Momofsaee, are you saying that not all children are entitled to a public education? I'm not saying their entitled to welfare here, I'm saying basic education in a safe and healthy environment. Are peanuts really that important to you that you'd force a child out of a school?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Anon 9:35 - Thank you for the clarification. I was obviously not involved in that thread, and this one does not indicate that the school in question was a private school.

I can completely understand being upset that the rules were changed for one student at a private school, when all families are paying the same tuition. I don't mean to suggest that all schools should be peanut free, but I understand public schools adopting the policy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2009