• In the Spotlight:

what type of Dog should we get?

We have a newborn baby and we want him to grow up with a family pet. So we want a dog to protect our house when we're not there but also to be cuddly and trainable. We want to adopt dog so what kind should we get? Thanks!

newmommy81

Asked by newmommy81 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I'd go to a shelter and get a really sweet mutt. I think mutts are the best =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Medium sized mutt.

Too big --- will be knocking the baby around.
    Too small --- the baby will be knocking the dog around.

And mutts are always the best.

Retriever mixes, boxer mixes, standard poodle mixes, pretty much any terrier mix.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I have a French Mastiff. We got him when my son was 5. And they are bestfriends.
    Since had another baby and the dog was always excellent. He is a great big lump of
    LOVE, but look out if you don't belong near my house.
    NOV1999

Answer by NOV1999 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Are you thinking of getting a puppy or an adult dog? If you want a puppy, and it were me, I would wait until your baby is closer to 4 or 5 years old. Puppies are cute and everything but they need constant and consistent care and training if you want a well mannered and house broken dog. With a newborn, do you really have the time and energy to put into a puppy? Otherwise a couple of months from now you'll be on here at your wit's end asking us how to get your dog to stop chewing everything up or how to get it to stop peeing and pooping in your house. I would recommend going through a rescue and getting a slightly older (maybe 2 or 3 years old) dog that has been fostered. They are typically housebroken, crate trained, and have basic obedience. Most breeds have a rescue group so it's possible to get a purebred if that is what you want.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Any mix breed from a shelter. With a baby, I wouldn't necessarily go with a Pomeranian or Chihuahua or the smaller breeds. They are very loyal to one family member and get jealous easily. Golden Retrievers are good and so are bassett hounds. Labs are great, but it takes about two years for them to calm down from puppy hood. Until then, think the movie "Marley and ME."
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Beagles are wonderful with kids. Never housed trained a Beagle though.

I would recommend getting a dog that is about 3years old otherwise you have to much jumping, etc. with them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• i have always liked the standard poodle then when i got one i fell in love with it. they are low energy, smart,don't shed and kid friendly. i got mine from craigslist and even as a puppy she was calm and sweet. i would just go with a breed that is low energy. they won't jump all over you or need daily walks and can live in aparments if had too.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• BlackLab all the way the most gentle dog with kids had 2 and they were the greatest.small dogs are ok but they bark all the time for no reason and are known to be snippy
    Anonymous

• I would say a golden retriever. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and we just had our first baby 2 weeks ago and he has been GREAT with our newborn! He doesnt get pushy around him and is already protective. When Charlie hears the baby crying he'll come find me and stare at me trying to get my attention until I get the baby. He's so gentle and loving around the baby.
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 4:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Get a Boxer!!!! They are the best!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009